Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that James' 1960 LP?...

There are a couple of good pictures of the '60 in Yas Iwanade's "The Beauty of the 'Burst" - one taken pre-sale to McCartney and one showing him playing it in concert.

As the book was first published in 1996 it would seem that he's owned it for at least 18 years.

Rare? Apparently it's one of only three(!) left-handed Les Pauls known to have been produced in 1960.

P.

I got the impression, that the "touring '60" was a LH "reissue," now. Not sure,

about that, though. I think the one Linda got him, was a more "faded" Cherry

burst (almost Honeyburst, now). The one I often see him play, has a more "new"

look, less faded, to the finish. But, it might be the stage lighting, too???

Only Paul, his tech, and the band, know for sure, I guess. [biggrin]

CB

I could, of course, be wrong but....

The one Macca is using when he is playing 'Matchbox' is almost certainly the original 1960, CB.

It has a unique dark-shaded are to the lower-left of the toggle switch - sort of like a quardant shape (here circled in white);

Macca1960_zps8fd497c8.jpg

Unless, that is, he's had Gibson CS make him an exact replica - which is, I suppose, a possibility.

But I've also had a really good look at the figure (from your own post #149) and, comparing it to the stills I have of it, it just matches up too perfectly for it to be a different piece of maple.

IMHO...

P.

EDIT : Trying to find out any more info about the guitar and it seems like there was a 40-odd post thread over on the LPF about "McCartney's touring '60".

There is even a shot of it taken in 1982 when it was for sale at Gruhn's!

It never fails to amaze me what you can find out through the web...

This is good information. On a separate note, based on the photo you posted holding your Custom, you are most likely about 10 years older than me.

So, did you ever see The Beatles? How about 'solo' Beatles? When? Who? ...and if you have a fave 'solo', who? I know it's a tough question! [scared]

Yes, I did see The Beatles, Live, at Busch Stadium, the last year they toured.

Good seats, too...for $5.50 a ticket! LOL!!! Hard to believe, now, huh?

It was in August, 1966! I was 16, at the time. Amazing experience, overall.

As concerts go, it was more an "event," than a concert, because you couldn't

really hear much, over the constantly screaming girls! What you could hear,

sounded GREAT, though! In those days, the PA, was what was on the field, and

what came out of the little horns, attached to the poles around the stadium,

that the games plays were announced on. There was no such thing, as the kind

of PA's we're used to seeing, at big venue arenas, now. They just didn't exist,

back then.

And, Yeah, I've seen MACCA, several times, with "Wings," and...his first (non-Wings)

band, and the current line-up, as well. But, like most "major" concert artists,his ticket

prices are prohibitive (for me), now! But, that's OK...I got to see all, the major acts I

wanted to, and many during their "heyday," as well. I even got to see The Yardbirds(3 times),

when Page AND Jeff Beck were both playing in the band, at the same time.

CB

I could, of course, be wrong but....

The one Macca is using when he is playing 'Matchbox' is almost certainly the original 1960, CB.

It has a unique dark-shaded are to the lower-left of the toggle switch - sort of like a quardant shape (here circled in white);

Macca1960_zps8fd497c8.jpg

Unless, that is, he's had Gibson CS make him an exact replica - which is, I suppose, a possibility.

But I've also had a really good look at the figure (from your own post #149) and, comparing it to the stills I have of it, it just matches up too perfectly for it to be a different piece of maple.

IMHO...

P.

EDIT : Trying to find out any more info about the guitar and it seems like there was a 40-odd post thread over on the LPF about "McCartney's touring '60".

There is even a shot of it taken in 1982 when it was for sale at Gruhn's!

It never fails to amaze me what you can find out through the web...

Well, Pippy, I'm wasn't trying to imply it was definitely NOT the one Linda got him. Just that

it may, or may not be? I really don't know! Some other shots, and close-ups on DVD's have shown

a similar LP, but with more "Red" in the burst. So, I just wondered, really, if it was a "touring"

version, or even a completely different LP, altogether? But, you may well be right? I just don't

know, for sure. Information, on the Web, seems to be not much more definitive, but who knows?! [tongue]

CB

I think I read all of the replies, and most of my faves were mentioned, but I also really liked Mick Box from Uriah Heep back in the day. I liked Jan Akkerman of Focus too. Tak Matsumoto.

Yeah I figured you saw them!!! That must have been one of the last shows they did. I was six years old at that time.

I consider myself lucky to have seen the 'Wings Over America' tour in 1976.

Then I saw Paul again in 1989 and twice in 1993.

As for George, I saw him just once in 1992 at the Dylan 30th Anniversary concert at MSG.

I saw Ringo in 1989 during his tour with the first incarnation of his 'All-Starr Band'.

The closest I got to see John was in 1978...

Me and my brother hung out across from the Dakota on Central Park West for hours...hoping that John would come out. He never did.

It was indeed, the last year they toured, and within a week or 2, of Candlestick Park, which

was THE last tour Venue, and public performance, save 1969 "Rooftop Concert," at Apple Corp.

To this day, I've never seen so many stunningly beautiful girls, in one place! Before, or since!

They all seemed to look like "Yardley" models. [love] Of course, that was the "style" back then! It

was simply "awesome," especially for 16 and 17 year old kids from the "sticks!" My band mate,

who was a year older, accompanied me, to "The Big City," of St. Louis. What an awesome trip,

the whole thing turned out to be. Seeing The Beatles, was "icing on the cake," so to speak! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I think I read all of the replies, and most of my faves were mentioned, but I also really liked Mick Box from Uriah Heep back in the day. I liked Jan Akkerman of Focus too. Tak Matsumoto.

This is one of the great things about this forum.

For almost 40 years I've always thought of Mick Box as an SG player because that's what he's playing (a Standard and a Special) in several snaps inside "Uriah Heep Live" which I bought c. 1975.

But no! I googled pics of him and from about '77(?) he's usually playing a Black Beauty. I also wiki'd the band. What a roller-coaster of a career...

Just for old-times' sakes I've put the vinyl on now. I'd forgotten just how much they sounded like Deep Purple.

I also checked back all the previous posts and can't see a mention for Gary Richrath. My 'bassist' (ha!) bought 'You Get What You Play For" when it came out ('77) and I loved both the band and his playing.

I've no idea where this snap comes from but I think he can justly be described as having been a 'Les Paul Kinda Guy' back in the day....

GaryRichrath_zps8e16c2f3.jpg

P.

EDIT : DOH ! ! !

See post # 170....

Jeff Watson!

Very nice Veeman. Jeff Watson of Night Ranger. He gave Eddie Van Halen a run for his money. His four finger tapping technique is unreal.

If you like Watson's style of playing check Out Adrian Vandenberg and his band Vandenberg.

You can Still Rock in America,

MississippiBlue

Archived