Gibson Brands Forums

Private Guitar Lessons with your Biggest Influence

BluesKing777

I saw Leo Kotke in concert in 1977 and was blown away. I'd like to have Tommy Emmanual for one session just to watch what he can do. There is no point in having him as a teacher because his worst day is 100x better than my best.

I'd take a quartet of my new instructors on an all expenses paid salmon fishing trip plus set them up with guides to fly fish the Bow river , to show my appreciation .

The guitar teachers would be ......

Colin James

Greg Koch

Colin Linden

Alvin Youngblood Hart

It would be an event that could happen every year

Too old and distracted these days to take on much more than fine tuning the pile of country/blues/rock songs I can already muscle through, so it wouldn't help me much to sit across from a guy like Bromberg, Stills or Simon and then spend hours practicing a fragment of a riff I'd love to catalog into my 'arsenal'...

... I just wanted to learn RStones songs. He planted the seed, however, and gave me the basics, so I'd love to have a replay on that period in my life. It was just one in a long list of opportunities I screwed up.

Your candor is appreciated. But try not to think of it as opportunities lost. That will just keep you Down in Crankytown. You like that Simon & G-funkel stuff; I'm thinking of the line in The Boxer: ...and a fighter by his trade, And he carries the reminders Of ev'ry glove that layed him down... Your music is the best reflection of who you are; they can't play it better than you.

I'm probably going to die, though, having never deciphered how to play Paul Simon's, 'Everything Put Together Falls Apart'. Anyone out there have tab or chords for that gem?

Yes, a song gets under the skin sometimes, and you have to have a go at it. 'Not too familiar with that P. Simon song "Everything Put Together Falls Apart", although it looks like it would have been perfectly suited for a send-up by former forumite JerryK. If I ever get the mind to try a technical song, I'll rough it out with the tab, look for a good YouTube of it that shows some left hand, and just listen to the song. I think you should put it on your Bucket List- just spend some time messing around with the intro, then the "middle stuff". Baby steps...

Here's a capo'd, fretting-hand YouTube of that Paul Simon song:

(the tab is out there if you want it)

Thanks for the link AND the pep talk! That's a good method for breaking down a song and I did, indeed, put some of the song's major chord fragments together on the page, so this vid will help fill in the holes.

OK OK, I'll answer BK's challenge by saying I would ask and pay for lessons from Ana Vidovic, although since I can't fingerpick very well and don't play classical, she would surely see through to my tawdry ulterior motives. If she says no, I'm going with Bromberg.

BTW, both this song and 'Armistice Day' are done superbly on youtube by Dominic Hazell, who I really think has Paul Simon down better than anyone else out there. Check it out and you'll see why these are two of the more difficult ones to conquer, though they're not really visually instructional. I have an OK version of this song mastered, though I have to play it regularly to keep my chops on it, so now I'll get going on 'Everything Put Together...'

OK - you won the lottery; bought every top guitar you wanted and now your thoughts turn to...

'WTF am I gonna play on these babies?'

You got huge loads of cash for private lessons with anyone you like that is available/still kickin'

Who are you picking to bless with your study?

BluesKing777.

Norman Blake

I feel I am already one of the luckiest guys on the face of the earth. I managed to grab a few lessons with Rev. Gary Davis and one impromptu lesson with Skip James down in Philly. I was pretty young and in total awe of these guys. These days I wonder how they could not have been sick of these white kids coming round trying to learn the "secret of the blues." One of the few regrets I have in life (well there are probably more than a few) was not keeping on with Rev. Davis. I guess I just thought I could always pick up again where I left off tomorrow.

Dunno about the Rev. sounding odd on a tele. I think his fingers might have needed to adjust to the neck a bit but good playing if the guitar and amp were set to a more or less "neutral" sort of position it'd sound fine.

A tele doesn't have to sound like lead guitar for Merle Haggard.

m

Archived