Gibson Brands Forums

More stuff on the man cave wall

ksdaddy

I hesitate to say the man cave is taking shape. I do have a couch, coffee table, tv, stereo, all the required stuff. It's bascially half the basement and I haven't decided to partition it off in any way. I'm putting a few things up on the walls even though I haven't painted yet. There's a couple framed Gibson posters, a Fender dealer banner, a couple framed ads for 60s Fender acoustics, a framed logo from a very early K&F steel guitar, one of Leo Fender's cancelled checks from 1970, and the latest addition, the carcass from a 1963 Fender pedal steel, found in a barn in Nashville, courtesy of Searcy. No theme other than guitar junk and there will likely be no semblance of feng shui. Fun though.

2hntapj.jpg

I am envious of the Leo check. Regrets, I hope, remain few, but one will always be not getting to meet and talk to that guy and not having a guitar with CLF on the heel.

rct

I once knew a guy who worked for Fender R&D in the late 60s. He was good friends with Doc Kaufmann. He sent me a few snapshots of Doc in his back yard.

The man had a locomotive in his back yard.....

He said Leo would come for a barbecue or picnic at Doc's once in a while and they would rib him that nobody was buying G&L guitars. I asked if he would have Doc and Leo sign (etch?) the bridge cover of my Telecaster. They said they would but both laughed at the idea someone would want them to sign a guitar part. I never did get around to sending it to him and lost my chance many moons ago.

Archived