Gibson Brands Forums

LP Gurus...tell me about this axe

fpstraccia

Recently purchased this used guitar from a guy who claims to have purchased this used from GC. I don't know much about LPs, but played it, liked it, and bought it. Curious about the headstock; is this the real deal? S/N 03554629.

GibsonLP.jpg

LPHeadstockfront.jpg

LPHeadstockback.jpg

Appreciate any information you can provide...thanks.

It's a Standard 2004 Limited Edition (Sante Fe Sunrise). See here and here. BTW, when I got my first LP I thought it was a Limited Edition too, because it's a black cherry which only comes in the Limited Editions. Here's the link for that. But then I found out that it's a regular Standard that was only made for GC, so not many were made. I guess I wonder which one is more limited, mine or the Limited Editions???

Well, FennRx, I see it this way - he wanted a Les Paul so he bought one. Guys like you and I and most of the rest of the crowd here are a bunch of gear geeks who not only know that it's a Les Paul, but can also take a look at the picture and serial # and also know which model Les Paul it is, the exact date it was made and which factory it came out of. My experience is that the guys who know less about gear are the ones who tend to be better players because they spend more time practicing and less time surfing the web reading about gear (definitely part of the reason why I'm not a better player than I am).

i guess so, but for me personally, i would rather get ripped off buying something new from a gibson dealer than getting ripped off by some guy on CL.

if i spend 2200 on a new LP from Guitar Center and later find out i could have gotten it for $1800 on zzounds.com, i'd be pissed. but i'd be effin' irate if i spent $1500 on a used LP and it turned out to be worth $150.

i am just amazed at the number of these types of threads. and they are increasing.

it just makes me kinda sad (and mad) because this used to be a great forum, but i honestly think its going downhill. sure, there are guys like you and AXE (and others), but there can be no dispute that the quality of threads has declinded immensely as the number of new members increased.

so you bought a guitar and you were not even sure if it was real? good job.

jesus' date=' where do these guys come from? this is why we lose wars....

[/quote']

Hey, it plays great, sounds great, and looks great...I'd still be OK owning it even if I found out it was fake. Of course, I'm happier now knowing it's real. But thanks for the feedback; I'll be sure to stay out of any decisionmaking if I get stuck in a war...

but there can be no dispute that the quality of threads has declinded immensely as the number of new members increased.

I think newbees should be encouraged to do a search before asking a question....So should I for that matter.

Where do babies come from?

It's a Standard 2004 Limited Edition (Sante Fe Sunrise). See here and here. BTW' date=' when I got my first LP I thought it was a Limited Edition too, because it's a black cherry which only comes in the Limited Editions. Here's the link for that. But then I found out that it's a regular Standard that was only made for GC, so not many were made. I guess I wonder which one is more limited, mine or the Limited Editions???

Hey rocketman I have one of your brothers..(black cherry paul),does yours have a number on the back of the headstock? My girlfriend bought me mine in 2004,number 39/275 what's your number?

It's a beauty fpstraccia I love that flame and the knobs are great too!

I looked at your gibby logo and mine has the shadowy effect too that initially had me wondering about mine as well,when I learned that my girlfriend had gotten it at GC I knew it was a real one.

Welcome to the forum,lots of good folk here.

Hey rocketman I have one of your brothers..(black cherry paul)' date='does yours have a number on the back of the headstock? My girlfriend bought me mine in 2004,number 39/275 what's your number?[/quote']

Holy smoke! I haven't checked the serial number since I got it and just what? I had the wrong year (AXE is going to call me an idiot now!). It's actually a 2005. Here is the information from guitardaterproject.org:

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

July 22nd, 2005

Production Number: 277

I guess I should have realized this because mine has 9 digits, which started in early July of 2005. Yours will have 8 digits, so there probably isn't anything similar other than the color. My headstock is a normal one, which you can see from the picture below. It's just a plain ole Standard that has the Limited Edition black cherry color with cream binding.

IMG_0383.jpg

I bought it because it sounded great and I liked the finish (it was a about a year's worth of searching and this one called to me).

IMG_0357-1.jpg

i guess so' date=' but for me personally, i would rather get ripped off buying something new from a gibson dealer than getting ripped off by some guy on CL.

if i spend 2200 on a new LP from Guitar Center and later find out i could have gotten it for $1800 on zzounds.com, i'd be pissed. but i'd be effin' irate if i spent $1500 on a used LP and it turned out to be worth $150.

i am just amazed at the number of these types of threads. and they are increasing.

it just makes me kinda sad (and mad) because this used to be a great forum, but i honestly think its going downhill. sure, there are guys like you and AXE (and others), but there can be no dispute that the quality of threads has declinded immensely as the number of new members increased.[/quote']

Jeez Fenn, that's harsh! That almost makes me miss CAPS LOCK.

Holy smoke! I haven't checked the serial number since I got it and just what? I had the wrong year (AXE is going to call me an idiot now!). It's actually a 2005. Here is the information from guitardaterproject.org:

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant' date=' TN, USA

July 22nd, 2005

Production Number: 277

I guess I should have realized this because mine has 9 digits, which started in early July of 2005. Yours will have 8 digits, so there probably isn't anything similar other than the color. My headstock is a normal one, which you can see from the picture below. It's just a plain ole Standard that has the Limited Edition black cherry color with cream binding.

I bought it because it sounded great and I liked the finish (it was a about a year's worth of searching and this one called to me).

[/quote'] Well she's a great looking axe!! as are your others!

Well I thought I had one of your sibs lol mine has this right under the U.S.A made stamping

Picture77.jpg

I was just curious as to your production #. Peace and happy discovery!

You've earned enough stripes around here to get a free pass or two...

I do have my eye on you now though...

Strike #1. O:)

Can I have the strike back since I correctly identified it as a Limited Edition Sante Fe Sunrise instead of a Premium Plus?

Archived