Gibson Brands Forums

Earvana, Buzz Feiten, LSR Roller nut and your EAR

sbrenn01

I've been reading a lot lately about the Buzz Feiten guitars, his tuning system, and that led me down the path of reading the "how it works" of BFTS. Seems that most of the concept revolves around the idea of placing the nut a few thousandths closer to the bridge, setting individual string 'shelves' of the nut closer to the strings. Supposed to make the intonation better, make the sound of the instrument more 'accurate'. Earvana is similar; intonation accuracy to a few cents here and there.

Well, that got me to thinking, and dangerous as that is...I started thinking about Jeff Beck and the nut on his guitar. I remember seeing his guitar on the Live at Ronnie Scott's. Sir Jeff is playing his Strat using an LSR Roller Nut. So? So, Jeff Beck sounds great, after all he's Jeff freakin' Beck! And I can almost guarantee that that nut on his guitar isn't set up to be accurate to anything other than "somewhere around A440".

My point? The way you play, the way you phrase and your technique matter a heck of a lot more than any (here goes!) Gimmick.

I said it. GIMMICK. Foolishness. A waste of $150.00 or so dollars. Better spent on pups if you need then, or a mic or even a better speaker.

Just my $0.02.

Thoughts?

I've been reading a lot lately about the Buzz Feiten guitars, his tuning system, and that led me down the path of reading the "how it works" of BFTS. Seems that most of the concept revolves around the idea of placing the nut a few thousandths closer to the bridge, setting individual string 'shelves' of the nut closer to the strings. Supposed to make the intonation better, make the sound of the instrument more 'accurate'. Earvana is similar; intonation accuracy to a few cents here and there.

Well, that got me to thinking, and dangerous as that is...I started thinking about Jeff Beck and the nut on his guitar. I remember seeing his guitar on the Live at Ronnie Scott's. Sir Jeff is playing his Strat using an LSR Roller Nut. So? So, Jeff Beck sounds great, after all he's Jeff freakin' Beck! And I can almost guarantee that that nut on his guitar isn't set up to be accurate to anything other than "somewhere around A440".

My point? The way you play, the way you phrase and your technique matter a heck of a lot more than any (here goes!) Gimmick.

I said it. GIMMICK. Foolishness. A waste of $150.00 or so dollars. Better spent on pups if you need then, or a mic or even a better speaker.

Just my $0.02.

Thoughts?

[thumbup] Gimmick hits the nail on the head in my humble opinion. We are dealing with equally tempered scales and fret spacings according to them, and nothing will change this on principal. Any improvement of certain fingerings will demand shortcomings of others, no matter what we do. There is always a tradeoff, no way without any compromise.

A roller nut might help with vintage vibratos, same as a roller bridge on Maestros, but everything else is a matter of proper setup and correct tuning.

Gimmick hits the nail on the head in my humble opinion.

+1

Music is an expression of sounds created by/with/for groups of people.

If your instrument is that accurate, you may have trouble tuning into others.

OTHERWISE....there are alternatives...

intonation.jpg

Personally, I'm still working on it.

Good Question,

Willy

Archived