Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

surfpup

So I waffled for quite awhile on the Electromatic series Gretsch Double Jet which they only offered in gold and black. I almost pulled the trigger a while ago on the gold one, but held off. Then they issued it in Firebird Red...

_12.jpg

Problem was there seem to be none in the US! They're readily available in the UK but none of the major US retailers have them. Anyway I finally found one at a shop in Houston which had it listed on eBay and Reverb. Snagged it and it should arrive Wednesday. Rarely if ever do I buy guitars without playing them first - even ones in this low price range - so I am keeping my fingers crossed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That model is new to me, I must admit, so i Googled it.

Nice specs and even here in 'overpriced UK-land' it seems like a bargain!

Very sharp-looking bit of kit.

Looking forward to the review, Surf!

[thumbup]

P.

So I waffled for quite awhile on the Electromatic series Gretsch Double Jet which they only offered in gold and black. I almost pulled the trigger a while ago on the gold one, but held off. Then they issued it in Firebird Red...

Problem was there seem to be none in the US! They're readily available in the UK but none of the major US retailers have them. Anyway I finally found one at a shop in Houston which had it listed on eBay and Reverb. Snagged it and it should arrive Wednesday. Rarely if ever do I buy guitars without playing them first - even ones in this low price range - so I am keeping my fingers crossed

Nice, surfpup! Now you can get your Malcom Young on!

Sometimes, buying a guitar sight unseen is necessary. I do it all the time—for readily-available guitars! :rolleyes:

Cool, mine is an early mahogany body non-chambered and is a boat anchor and the main reason I have not bonded well with it.

I did the conversion to high sensitivity filtertrons from the original crappy mini humbuckers and that was the right thing to do.

I bought this Gretsch many years ago I'm pretty sure it was an Electromatic,one of those guitars I bought cause it looked good I'm sure it was a cheaper version than yours.I like your double cut better the red is the bomb.Mine I couldnt bond with for some reason,I liked it being a hollowbody but the pickups just didnt have it,guess I should have changed them could have been a great guitar.Waiting for your pictures when yours arrives.

here is mine but I sold it a long time ago around 2000.

MVC-005E-2.jpg

MVC-004S-1.jpg

Well I hope you're not too sick to test drive that Gretsch for a few hours today.

Nice looking guitar.

There's a guy down in Ventura here on the Central Coast of Cali, who builds a tripple jet style guitar. It's got three pickups in it. Jack White is probably his most famous customer as he rocks one in this video.

Check it out.

It's a cool live performance I'm sure you'll appreciate, Surfpup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnsjvqqjMfU

Archived