Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

surfpup

Nice guitar!

I've been thinking Gretsch or Ric. lately myself

NHTom

A guy needs a cuppla of each. Love my Ric's & Gretsch gits.

The Green Caddy is what my Duo-Jet is and I do think it may be my prettiest guitar. Love the gold w/ green & the orange Hog back. Just beautiful guitars. Dang it's fit & finish is near perfect. Of course with the Dyna's it sounds great too.

Aster

DuoJetCadGreen.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snip

They call those pickups "Baldwin era Filter'trons" aparently Baldwin ownwed Gretsch sometime in the 70's.

I actually like the HS Filter'trons on mine but I do not find them as versatile as a stndard humbucker or a Fender single coil.

Sorry, I got SP's Double Jet mixed up with a G5655T-CB version. That's the the one with the Filter Bridge & the HiLoTron neck PUP's.

Should have looked closer and noticed the Humpback inlays vs. the thumbnails on the G5655T.

Aster

Hi Surf, was just wondering where that guitar was made and what you think of the overall quality?

China, Dave. And it seems fine. I haven't taken it apart or anything, yet... [biggrin] But no complaints. The action was a little low - too buzzy for me. I'll probably go over the set up a bit more closely once I change the strings.

I don't think Gretsch makes anything in America anymore do they? I remember reading that their high end models are made in Japan, while the others are Chinese

Yes, they do have "Custom Shop," and special order models, that are made in the Fender factory,

in Corona, California USA! [thumbup][biggrin] But, the regular production models are made

in Japan, and the Electromatic models are made in Korea, China, and Indonesia, mostly.

Speaking of CS Model Gretsch's...Here's some Interesting tidbits, about the "George Harrison Tribute"

Duo Jet:

CB

So I waffled for quite awhile on the Electromatic series Gretsch Double Jet which they only offered in gold and black. I almost pulled the trigger a while ago on the gold one, but held off. Then they issued it in Firebird Red...

_12.jpg

Problem was there seem to be none in the US! They're readily available in the UK but none of the major US retailers have them. Anyway I finally found one at a shop in Houston which had it listed on eBay and Reverb. Snagged it and it should arrive Wednesday. Rarely if ever do I buy guitars without playing them first - even ones in this low price range - so I am keeping my fingers crossed

Dang! Lots of NGD posts in here today. Congrats!!! That looks sweet! [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

So I think the new Gretsch is gonna get to play it's first gig tonight. Been mostly using a Strat, with this trio,

but I think the Gretsch may fit our sound real well. Of course, if I bring it and am not happy with it's sound,

I have to endure it for a two-hour show. [scared] Think maybe I should bring a Strat as a backup?

IMG_3931.jpg

So I think the new Gretsch is gonna get to play it's first gig tonight. Been mostly using a Strat, with this trio,

but I think the Gretsch may fit our sound real well. Of course, if I bring it and am not happy with it's sound,

I have to endure it for a two-hour show. [scared] Think maybe I should bring a Strat as a backup?

IMG_3931.jpg

If you've put it through it's paces, at home, and are happy with what you hear,

I'm sure it will be fine, at the "Gig." The Strat, as your backup, is always

a good idea, since you're used to it. But, maybe some real playing time, at

full volume, and dynamics, that your band has, will either confirm or re-evaluate

your opinion? If it turns out not to be "the one," you can always sell, or trade

it, for something else, since it's still too new, to have any real sentimentality

attached. Good Luck, with the gig, and the Gretsch! [thumbup]

CB

Well, I played the Gretsch last night for the whole two hour gig...

Verdict: Not too pleased. It plays fine and looks fabulous (Kept blasting people in the front row with the reflection off the gorgeous finish). But, lord is it bassy! I had to dime the treble on my '68 Fender Princeton and cut the bass to 3 and it was still thumpy. I even used a treble booster setting on one of my booster pedals. It just doesn't have the shimmer of a Strat or Tele in our songs. That said it has a nice little crunch that is unique and I really like that.

Overall, at this point I gotta say it may not make the cut. [crying] If anyone has any tips for brightening this thing up, I'd love to hear them!

You can hear a bit of it here - a cell phone clip from the gig last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQPOr4EY-Zk&feature=youtu.be

Have you tried lowering the pickups? Particularly on the bass side? It could make a huge difference...

-Ryan

That's on my agenda for today - though I set them pretty low to begin with. I'm not giving up on it, just yet.

Of course that cell phone mic combined with my laptop speakers probably isn't the most realistic representation of the sound, but I thought it sounded good. Maybe a little adjustment with your playing style is all you need when you use that guitar? Like you did through much of that song, just concentrate on fills and play kind-of half chords on the bottom strings. You've got your acoustic player to strum full chords. I never really thought of a Gretsch as a "strumming" guitar anyway.

Just my .02 :rolleyes:

Maybe a little adjustment with your playing style is all you need when you use that guitar? Like you did through much of that song, just concentrate on fills and play kind-of half chords on the bottom strings. You've got your acoustic player to strum full chords. I never really thought of a Gretsch as a "strumming" guitar anyway.

Just my .02 :rolleyes:

Yeah, definitely! I spent most of the night emphasizing the treble strings. I almost never played say an A chord in the first position without grabbing the e and B strings at the 5th fret with my pinkie. And yeah, I don't strum too much - that's his job. [biggrin]

Just finished adjusting the pickups and I have to say it seems to have made a huge difference! [thumbup] I had to take the pickguard off to do it right (who designed that?). Not only is it snappier and twangier, but I have a better blend between the neck and bridge pups. Pretty chuffed so far. I'll give it another shot at our next gig this Wednesday.

Just finished adjusting the pickups and I have to say it seems to have made a huge difference! [thumbup] I had to take the pickguard off to do it right (who designed that?). Not only is it snappier and twangier, but I have a better blend between the neck and bridge pups. Pretty chuffed so far. I'll give it another shot at our next gig this Wednesday.

Sweet, can't wait to see how it turns out!

-Ryan

Would you (maybe?) have an opportunity, for a full band "rehearsal" prior to your next gig.

Might help you work out the "bugs & balances" before? Just a thought...

CB

Would you (maybe?) have an opportunity, for a full band "rehearsal" prior to your next gig.

Might help you work out the "bugs & balances" before? Just a thought...

CB

Unfortunately no, CB. My bandmates are a couple and they are grabbing a couple days holiday. I won't see them until then.

The gig Wed. night is pretty chill though. Just a regular bar gig. I can fart around with it. If it's not cutting it after a couple of songs, I will just swap it for a Strat and kick it to the curb. I really think it's gonna be good now though. If it cuts the mustard Wed. I will order it a hard case too. Maybe I should tell it that for incentive. :rolleyes:

Well, I played the Gretsch last night for the whole two hour gig...

Verdict: Not too pleased. It plays fine and looks fabulous (Kept blasting people in the front row with the reflection off the gorgeous finish). But, lord is it bassy! I had to dime the treble on my '68 Fender Princeton and cut the bass to 3 and it was still thumpy. I even used a treble booster setting on one of my booster pedals. It just doesn't have the shimmer of a Strat or Tele in our songs. That said it has a nice little crunch that is unique and I really like that.

Overall, at this point I gotta say it may not make the cut. [crying] If anyone has any tips for brightening this thing up, I'd love to hear them!

You can hear a bit of it here - a cell phone clip from the gig last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQPOr4EY-Zk&feature=youtu.be

Hmmm, I actually thought it sounded pretty good! And, that's before your did

your tweaking. So, it should be Great, now...hopefully! But, we all have a

sound/tone in our heads, that no matter how it sounds to other's if it doesn't

do what WE want/need, we move on. "C'est la Vie!"

CB

Hmmm, I actually thought it sounded pretty good! And, that's before your did

your tweaking. So, it should be Great, now...hopefully! But, we all have a

sound/tone in our heads, that no matter how it sounds to other's if it doesn't

do what WE want/need, we move on. "C'est la Vie!"

CB

Thanks, CB. I got where I needed to be pretty much, but I had everything related to treble pegged and changed my booster settings to basically a full treble boost. Plus I had to avoid the E sting on most chords. I'd rather get there with closer to my normal amp settings - especially if I want to do any guitar switching. I think I'm on the right track.

Archived