Gibson Brands Forums

All THAT and NOT ....all that!

retrorod

Rare....in my neck of the woods, but I had the opportunity,today, to play a really nice Republic metal resonator, parlor size 12-fretter. Gorgious looking as well as playing and sounding in every way..... $550.

I also got to play a Bourgeois D18 style Adi-top/ Brazilian RW acoustic. They were asking $5500.... The fit and finish on the Bourgeois was impeccable.....except for some sharp fret-ends that I found obnoxious on a guitar of this caibre. Playability was good and tone was good, but not $5K worth. My late 40's SJ beats it hands down.

The Republic reso is still on my mind while the Bourgeois memory fades and I just think......WTF?

No pics of that Braz? Maybe the Dana B guitar was just under-humidified? That can have the fret ends sticking out, and the tone turned down. But yes, I'd rather play an old SJ than a perfect, new(-ish) boutique guitar.

Rare....in my neck of the woods, but I had the opportunity,today, to play a really nice Republic metal resonator, parlor size 12-fretter. Gorgious looking as well as playing and sounding in every way..... $550.

I also got to play a Bourgeois D18 style Adi-top/ Brazilian RW acoustic. They were asking $5500.... The fit and finish on the Bourgeois was impeccable.....except for some sharp fret-ends that I found obnoxious on a guitar of this caibre. Playability was good and tone was good, but not $5K worth. My late 40's SJ beats it hands down.

The Republic reso is still on my mind while the Bourgeois memory fades and I just think......WTF?

Lucky for the wallet you didn't like the Bourgeois!

Also lucky for your wallet, but not your playing, there wasn't a National to play! I played my National Tricone in the shop one Saturday morning a couple of years back, HA HA! I have my Dobro and don't really need a Tricone, Ha Ha, fever set in and I was back there with my card, possibly before the shop opened Monday Morning.....

BluesKing777.

No pics of that Braz? Maybe the Dana B guitar was just under-humidified? That can have the fret ends sticking out, and the tone turned down. But yes, I'd rather play an old SJ than a perfect, new(-ish) boutique guitar.

I will try and get some pics of it on Monday. It is very newish and a consignment sale. I was afraid to use a flatpick on it for fear of scratching the top...ha! Supposedly a $8,000 guitar. In all fairness, I was not able to 'dig in' with a flatpick so cannot speak accurately on its tone potential. Seemed that it had some 'opening up' to do however. Supposedly the owner has 2 or 3 more of this caliber....

The quality of workmanship inside and out is a sight to behold .

Lucky for the wallet you didn't like the Bourgeois!

Also lucky for your wallet, but not your playing, there wasn't a National to play! I played my National Tricone in the shop one Saturday morning a couple of years back, HA HA! I have my Dobro and don't really need a Tricone, Ha Ha, fever set in and I was back there with my card, possibly before the shop opened Monday Morning.....

BluesKing777.

I hear ya' on the National. I won't be truly happy with the collection until I get a National. I figure that one will come along one day at the "right price" [thumbup]

Had the pleasure of seeing Doug MacLeod perform a couple of years ago and spoke to him during intermission. Super nice dude, a National endorsee, and he told me it would be well worth saving up for the best reso....National.

Going to see him again in two weeks....can,t wait.

While there is National and then pretty much everything else, the Republics really are decent knockoffs.

The "budget" resonators that are well worth the trouble to seek out though are older Regal Tricones which were made by Amistar in the Czech Republic. I believe the last ones were brought in around 2004.

Also although a couple of hundred bucks more than the Republics the Hot Rod Steels are worth a look.

Thanks for that info Zwoof! The parlour size Republic suited me to "T"...Very fine playing and sounding for the money. Nice antiqued gold finish. Someone else has got dibs on it but that may fall thru....

I really need to put my hands on one before I pull the trigger. They don,t seem to come around the stores here very often.

Archived