Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center Extended Warranty?

mwc

Is it worth the extra ~$300 dollars for the extended warranty from Guitar Center for the Dark Fire? I would normally say no, but I don't know how either Gibson's or Guitar Center's quality of service rates. Anybody have any experience with either?

thanks,

-Mark

DF-0133

I always thought Gibson's were not applicable for third party warranties, however, if I am wrong and it was offered, I would %100 do it. I myself am like you and never get the warranties on anything, they are mostly functionless, but in this instance it would be wise.

What I suggest to you is go to GC and watch the guy doing the in-store warranty work and see for yourself if the guy is competant, takes great care in each instrument he works on, things as simple as....does he have a good work area where he lays the guitar onto (ie; padded, clean from debris, so as not to scratch the guitar). Does he set up guitars with his eye or does he actually make measurements as he adjusts. These are some things that will help you make your decision......in addition to your having comfort of an extended warranty on your DF electronics. :)

I set up all of my own guitars, occassionaly I do take a guitar to a specific luthier I use when I need extensive work done. For example, I picked up a used guitar I wanted to start gigging with, one that I wouldn't cry over if it became damaged or was stolen. I had some additional routing done to accept a Floyd Rose tremolo, added a 3 pos switch for series/parrallel switching, etc.

A story for you.....before I started using a luthier many years back, I had huge trouble with GC, Sam Ash and even a local guitar shop in town when setting up guitars. I watched them closely and remember one guy taking my '70 vintage SG and banging (trying not to say slamming it down, but it wasn't far from it) it down on his work bench, which consisted of a piece of rug that was full of debris....cut wires, ends of strings, pieces of solder, etc. He started by using wire cutters to cut all of my strings off (a huge tension release on the neck), restrung the SG while still banging it around, brought it to pitch, removed the truss rod cover and cranked the truss rod a turn or so, which he sighted by eye, turned the bridge post screws (with tension on the strings)....didn't adjust pups.

End result was I had scratches on the back of my cherry SG, gouges on the bridge post screw slots and a back bow in the neck that was just stuuuuupid. And to think I paid for this.

Bottom line, I went and found a professional luthier, checked out his work area, watched him work and today still bring my guitars to him. I use the same guy for doing appraisals on my vintage guitars also. I also purchased several books on doing guitar setups myself and I do setups for friends also.

I agree with MLB

I'd be inclined to use the $300 towards buying one of these instead of a Guitar Center Dark Fire warranty

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-STR1-Pro-Electric-Sitar-Guitar?sku=519273

On Dark Fire - its the proprietary Tronical electronics that would be 1st to fail. Gibson does NOT supply Guitar Center with these components, so throwing more profit to Guitar Center seems pointless to me.

On Dark Fire - its the proprietary Tronical electronics that would be 1st to fail. Gibson does NOT supply Guitar Center with these components' date=' so throwing more profit to Guitar Center seems pointless to me. [/quote']

I did not know that. Makes sense though. In that case, I agree, spend it on a sitar.

Speaking of which, that is really cool. That got me thinking, it would be beyond cool if somebody made an electronic ud that could play half flats and half sharps. Also. how about some other cool instruments. For example, I could only imagine, a self tuning hajouj with chameleon tone technology that changes pitch up to a gembri.

But for real, thanks for making me spend more money elantric. Now I need one of those.

Me too!!!! Because, funnily enough, because I keep my guitars on stands to look at when not playing 'em, and my DF will take pride of place (when i eventually get her!!), I've decided to make a feature from the case and mount it on the wall in my lounge, how cool would that thing look as wall art too?!!!

What I suggest to you is go to GC and watch the guy doing the in-store warranty work and see for yourself if the guy is competant' date=' takes great care in each instrument he works on, things as simple as....does he have a good work area where he lays the guitar onto (ie; padded, clean from debris, so as not to scratch the guitar). Does he set up guitars with his eye or does he actually make measurements as he adjusts. These are some things that will help you make your decision......in addition to your having comfort of an extended warranty on your DF electronics. =D>

I set up all of my own guitars, occassionaly I do take a guitar to a specific luthier I use when I need extensive work done. For example, I picked up a used guitar I wanted to start gigging with, one that I wouldn't cry over if it became damaged or was stolen. I had some additional routing done to accept a Floyd Rose tremolo, added a 3 pos switch for series/parrallel switching, etc.

A story for you.....before I started using a luthier many years back, I had huge trouble with GC, Sam Ash and even a local guitar shop in town when setting up guitars. I watched them closely and remember one guy taking my '70 vintage SG and banging (trying not to say slamming it down, but it wasn't far from it) it down on his work bench, which consisted of a piece of rug that was full of debris....cut wires, ends of strings, pieces of solder, etc. He started by using wire cutters to cut all of my strings off (a huge tension release on the neck), restrung the SG while still banging it around, brought it to pitch, removed the truss rod cover and cranked the truss rod a turn or so, which he sighted by eye, turned the bridge post screws (with tension on the strings)....didn't adjust pups.

End result was I had scratches on the back of my cherry SG, gouges on the bridge post screw slots and a back bow in the neck that was just stuuuuupid. And to think I paid for this.

Bottom line, I went and found a professional luthier, checked out his work area, watched him work and today still bring my guitars to him. I use the same guy for doing appraisals on my vintage guitars also. I also purchased several books on doing guitar setups myself and I do setups for friends also.[/quote']

Guitar Center's Performance Guarantee is an upgrade to the Gibson warranty, and does not mean that GC will neccesarily be the shop doing the work. In some areas the tech who operates at your local GC is an authorized agent of the warranty company, but it's not your only option.

Shel

Shel, good point and I thought about that also which brings up other points; your guitar may be sent out for repair to a reputable luthier shop, which would be great. If it's a reputable luthier, then wouldn't GC advertise that fact ?

Other things to consider tho; I may still not know who's doing the actual work and this means another physical transport of your guitar.

I gotta say I'm pretty hardcore about this subject, so, I'll tone my opinion down A LOT and simply say, "Warranties are for wimps"!

I say, "It it breaks, go fix it! If you can't fix it: live with it, give it away, sell it, or trash it." All property can be replaced--ALL. And, in my experience, it is usually to the better.

I think it's a great thing to find a (real) luthier if you own guitars and want to maintain them. Here's my guy, who also happens, by shear luck, to be located only a few blocks away from where I live.

http://www.jthayerguitars.com/

He's not upset that I don't own one of his, thankfully.

' date=' it would be beyond cool if somebody made an electronic ud that could play half flats and half sharps. .[/quote']

Sounds like you want to talk to Ekrem Ozkarpat... Check out http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=131659 ... He was the young apprentice to Murat Sezen (ref http://www.muratsezenguitars.com/ ) when they built a bass for me some 21 years ago. This bass was still in tune (schaller brass) and had a straight neck perfectly playable out of the box after 8 years of inactivity in the box! Admittedly they seem to have grown and become more expensive since then but I am sure they can accomodate what you need... Look at that bowl on the Murat Sezen guitar... Straight from an oud design obviously but isn't it a beautiful application?

Anyways, not commercially related to either luthier or trying to promote something else on a Gibson forum. Just pointing out that an electro-oud is possibe. Actually I have seen many installed with piezos which can be bought for very reasonable prices. Let me know if you need help searching. I still have some long lasting friendships back home that I can call on to.

Cheers...

KS

Archived