Gibson Brands Forums

You gotta try the AJ Rosewood!!!

onewilyfool

I hadn't played my AJ for a while and brought it out with the Purevoice J-45….wow…..As much as I love Mahogany and the J-45, this AJ is just a special blend of materials. Bracing and box may be the same, but the flavor that Rosewood gives the Jumbo box is just wonderful. For all of you SJ, J-45 and the like owners of Jumbo size Gibsons, you've got to try one when you get the chance. I don't even think they are made now as a standard model, based on the website, but if you can find one used, or try a friend's side by side with your Mahogany Jumbo, I think you will be truly impressed. My AJ has more punch, and volume to my ear than my J-45 (even with the Adi top!) And I can play the AJ percussively and comping chord wise with great ease. Again, wonderful mid's, and none of the overtones of say a D-28. I wonder why they stopped making the AJ standard model???? Kind of pretty too…..anyway, that's my story….

I love mine. Also I like the playability. The neck and scale length are just right. In fact, when I bought this one new a few years ago my intention was to buy a new J45. Once I played the AJ, the search was over. Since then I got a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo which I like really a lot, too. They are two different animals. I'm lucky to have both.

Rich

I hadn't played my AJ for a while and brought it out with the Purevoice J-45….wow…..As much as I love Mahogany and the J-45, this AJ is just a special blend of materials. Bracing and box may be the same, but the flavor that Rosewood gives the Jumbo box is just wonderful. For all of you SJ, J-45 and the like owners of Jumbo size Gibsons, you've got to try one when you get the chance. I don't even think they are made now as a standard model, based on the website, but if you can find one used, or try a friend's side by side with your Mahogany Jumbo, I think you will be truly impressed. My AJ has more punch, and volume to my ear than my J-45 (even with the Adi top!) And I can play the AJ percussively and comping chord wise with great ease. Again, wonderful mid's, and none of the overtones of say a D-28. I wonder why they stopped making the AJ standard model???? Kind of pretty too…..anyway, that's my story….

It's a good story. So your Purevoice J-45 has the Adi top with the AJ style bracing? My '03 Original Jumbo is almost the same guitar -- short scale, mahogany and Adirondack, AJ bracing. The differences would be the OJ's deeper body and the huge neck, and the bridge and fretboard are Madagascar Rosewood, but I doubt that has any tonal impact. And yes, AJs do sound different, and great. The only one I've ever played that I didn't like was maple. I think it has as much to do with the scale length as the rosewood, though.

P

Archived