Gibson Brands Forums

Is there something you've always wanted to do but never have?

daveinspain

Scuba thread got me thinking... What's on your to do list before you die? Here's a few things on mine. Not sure if I'll do any of them though.

1. Sky dive

2. ride in a hot air balloon

3. Pilot a jet (not gonna happen)

4. Drive a race car (could happen)

5. Play guitar well (working on it)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I really don't have any true "bucket list" items. To address some of Dave's:

#1. I see no reason to jump out of an airplane that's running perfectly fine.

#2. Have close friends who dam near got killed when the hot air balloon they were in hit some elec wires in a wind, severed the basket and they free fell about 40 feet. Two others on the baloon were not so lucky.

#3. Ditto, and no desire to fly in anything.

#4. Been there, done that, and WOOHOO

#5. Right there with ya Dave, and I'd add my 5 string banjo and Ukelele to that as well.

#6. Maybe finally figure out how the heck to record myself using something that a moron like me can understand! [laugh]

In all honesty, nothing more than those. I've either done it or have no desire to do so.

1 : Meet Gina Gershon

2 : Have dinner with Gina Gershon

3 : Have Gina Gershon ask me to come back to her house to see her Ecthings ...

4 : Put up a nobel fight, but finally succumb to Gina Gershon's advances ...gina.jpg

play a gig.

doesn't have to be anything special- a dive bar will do. perhaps one day. [thumbup]

Played in a cover band in the mid '60's. Definitely something every musician should experience.

go on one of the Bermudan charters that dress you in "chain maile" , set a scuba set on your back, and drop you to the bottom to hand feed Blue fin and the occasional Great White sharks tuna halves from a bag on your side.....hold fish out, shark approaches, a split second before it snaps, yank your hand back...

the chain maile suit won't prevent broken bones if you're bitten or attacked, but will prevent severed limbs.

Driven a racecar for my 40th last year so that's off my list of things to do.

no intention of jumping from moving aircraft...

also met quite a few of my heroes (inc Les Paul,Alan Parsons and the members of Toto), I suppose playing a gig with a famous band would be up there I think !

would also like to travel to the far east once my kids are older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4umwRrLHgA

Be able to watch TV without endless drug company and lawyer commercials.JK. I know that's impossible. OK, seriously. Drive a 1975 Corvette across the US. Aimlessly.

Nice... Once I drove my 1984 Corvette from Germany to Spain. As I was entering on to the ramp to the Autobahn I realized I was about to fulfill a childhood dream. Driving a Corvette on the Autobahn, no speed limit... I cruised at 120 mph for a couple hours straight. At times i didn't even notice any sensation of speed except for the yellow blur in my peripheral vision as I passed huge fields of flowers. Think the fastest I got up to was 132. I didn't want to blow the engine so I let up. Was a gas....

Well, good question:

1) being estimated by people as an amazing soulful blues player;

2) See the earth from space;

3) see the shooting a an episode of 'The walking Dead';

4) meet Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton;

5) have a threesome with 2 girls :)

Scuba thread got me thinking... What's on your to do list before you die? Here's a few things on mine. Not sure if I'll do any of them though.

1. Sky dive

2. ride in a hot air balloon

3. Pilot a jet (not gonna happen)

4. Drive a race car (could happen)

5. Play guitar well (working on it)

1.) Not out of a good airplane- But I always wanted to have to eject at least once.

2.) Fun unless it's windy

3). Done that over Mach 1; more fun than #4.

4). Define "race car" - you can get a NASCAR "experience" fairly cheap. I've raced SCCA T3.

5.) Working on it too.

6.) Summit at least 2 of the continental high points - or all of the 50 state high points (I have 15 of 50 now).

Dunno how to answer this one.

I've done more than a lotta folks; some of the stuff I haven't done could kill a guy my age pretty easily.

I guess the best answer is to say I wish I had the cash to do what I reasonably felt like doing, when I felt like doing it. For example picking up a nice trailer sailer and floating down the Missouri and Mississippi, or... perhaps having a 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer restored to pristine and just driving away with a cupla guitars in the back seat...

m

1. Drive stick (because the coolest cars are standard)

2. Be a "dad" (because I don't want to be preggo, I just want the baby to arrive via airmail)

3. Have a vintage car to fix up and tinker with and be proud of (mainly to drive it sporadically and be under the hood in a beater all greasy)

4. Wear a dress and heels and feel confident and pretty (last time I wore a girlie thing AND felt sexy I was 13 and I was in my schoolgirl uniform...being girlie without feeling ridiculous is hard O.o )

5. Be a professor (because I'm happy when I teach and I love to lecture)

Izzy...

I hear you on the professor thing. With increasing frequency I daydream of being a professor of classical literature, philosophy or history.

As for you looking good in "girly" apparel... It's my observation as a photographer that much of the confidence in such things has much to do with appropriate fit - not only in clothing size, but also in context of wearing it. Then again, I'm old fashioned and think it's attractive to see a female professor <grin> in a well-fitted knobby tweed or navy blazer with a khaki skirt and 2-3 inch heels, depending on the woman's size. The women I've known so-attired tended to ooze self-confidence - including one of my German language teachers in college who also enjoyed smoking a good pipe tobacco in a lady's style pipe.

For what it's worth, the same shows through in men's apparel. We get a lot of vacationers who'll buy "western" outfits when they visit during our rodeo season and - they all tend to stick out like a sore thumb. Then again, so do the city folks of both sexes wearing their shorts and sandals.

Perhaps the better attitude is "I've got __(fill in the blank for 'confidence,' 'sexiness,' or 'class')" and it shows in photographs.

Edit: FYI, it wasn't just the German language prof - it also was the professor of classics who gave me my copy of Plutarch many years ago. She had a university dorm named after her but... there's no longer a professor of classics at that university.

m

Archived