Gibson Brands Forums

1962 Firebird??

javtejada

Hello guys, just wondering if you could help me out a bit here. Im looking at buying a Firebird that just popped out on my area and which the seller advertises as a 1962 GIBSON FIREBIRD (first Firebirds came out on ´.63 no? ) Funny thing is, there is no serial number to be found on the body itself, the only number found is INSIDE ONE OF THE PICKUP CAVITIES, so, question is, is this the real deal? Is that the serial number? Its the first time I see the numbers printed in the pick up cavity, so Im appealing to your more expert opinion on this matter. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks¡¡

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm by no means an expert on the Firebird range but didn't the '63 - '66 Firebirds have a straight-through neck?

Right from the outset this was one of Ray Dietrich's innovative construction / design details for the range.

In which case there would not be a neck-tenon as seen in one of the snaps......

Also Firebird serial numbers were stamped on the rear of the headstock as per the rest of the solid-body guitars of the time.

Lastly, here is a picture (from George Gruhn's website) of the Kluson "Banjo" tuning pegs on a real Firebird V;

firebirdtuners_zpsb3f6a7cc.jpg

The '62 might, of course, be a pre-production prototype with a few details different from what actually made it on to the production instruments.

And pigs might fly.

P.

There are many things "suspect" in the photos shown above, but I'm not sure quite what to make of it.

It's either some sort of prototype, or a fake.

I would like to know what the potentiometer codes are. This would give us some reference of assembly date.

I would like to know what the potentiometer codes are. This would give us some reference of assembly date...

Normally I'd be with you but in this case? With the greatest respect, Larry; no.

As you know; that would merely give us a reference to the assembly date of the potentiometers. Nothing more conclusive than that.

There is so much here that is off I wouldn't trust those pots for one second.

I considered the possibility of a prototype but from Ted McCarty's own account of the 'Firebird' genesis a through-neck design was fundamental to Mr. Dietrich's concept.

I don't know what was going on within Gibson in the run-up to the Firebird launch and it is, of course, possible that a set-in neck prototype was made; but realistically?.....

I have my doubts.

P.

Hey guys! Thank you all for your help and your replies. The guy selling the guitar just confirmed it is actually a Burny (apparently he bought it as a Gibson 10 years ago, so he must be having a bad day hehe), so, good thing I asked you guys first.

Thanks again! Cheers.

Archived