Gibson Brands Forums

strings

Richie123

hi guys ive had my epiphone john lennon ej160e since december last year ive experimented with different brands of strings from daddario electric and acoustic ive tried rotosound ive asked questions on here about othet brands like the ghs brite flats .well now ive have desided on a brand of string that i will be sticking with once and for all the strings everybody says are the best for that beatle tone pyramid flat wounds . now i did say that im not really after that beatles tone i was just looking for good strings that will work great both acoustic and electric.but i dont know what it is there is something about pyramid flat wound strings that brings me back to them they really do have a sound of there own .they msy sound silly but to me they seem to make my guitar sound like a good old acoustic. ive just lowered the action on my guitar and placed back on my pyramid flat 11-50 but .i think i.ll drop to 11-48 in future cheers Richie

If you like flatwounds, you really should look at a set of Thomastik-Infeld Swing (flatwound) 11s. I don't really know if you'll get that Beatles sound from them, but the bass strings have a nice punch, and the thinner gauges have a good brightness to them. They're expensive, but they'll last. I've had a set on my ES-335 for almost a year, and they stay in tune and still sound good. $26/set from Just Strings and around $22 from Amazon.

I think we all have something within us that makes us end up preferring this or that sort of strings.

In a sense, I question the value of any "advice" on strings that's anything beyond "why I like this string because of my instrument and technique."

I'm just pleased when somebody finds something that fits them at a time and place.

OTOH, after 50 years of pickin', I'll add that regardless that I'm happy with my current string choices, it seems as if every 10-15 years I make adjustments to those with something else.

m

We get these string threads every so often. Like most people here, I've tried half the strings on the market searching for the ones that sound the way I want to sound. I read about those who recommend Cobalts, or pure nickel, or coated strings with different kinds of coatings, or Chrome flatwounds... all that are supposed to make a big difference in the way we sound, and some actually make a perceptible difference. I recommend the T-I Swings because the difference in what I hear is so radical, so sweet, that I will recommend to anyone looking for that quality of tone to give them a try, especially if they like flatwounds. I've put the T-I Swings on four guitars (different gauges on each, all semi-hollow or hollow bodied) and have no intention of ever switching brands on those guitars. I'd even recommend those for your Gretsch and ES-175, there milod.

What amazes me are players who use a different brand of strings within the same set, on the same guitar, at the same time. Some do it for the sound, some do it because that's all they've got.

I have been using Ernie Ball Super Slinkys for many years...

Last year I tried out the Cobalt Slinkys and was so so impressed... They last ages and sound great and really are quite different from normal steel strings... Well worth a go

I've put the T-I Swings on four guitars (different gauges on each, all semi-hollow or hollow bodied) and have no intention of ever switching brands on those guitars. I'd even recommend those for your Gretsch and ES-175, there milod.

Agree completely - Thomastik Infelds are fantastic.

Archived