Gibson Brands Forums

The most versatile guitar size…….???

onewilyfool

I find the Martin 000 or OM size to be the optimum size guitar for multi purpose playing. They are good in strumming and fingerpicking. I have a CF-100 which is L-2 size, which is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but a little bigger box would make it dynamite! I'm not sure, but I think the 165 Gibson size is closest to the OM-000 size of Martin? I would love to see some interesting tone wood and top combos on the 165 model. Do any of you guys have both Martin OM and Gibson 165? Similar tone woods? What is your assessment of the likenesses/differences????

Gotta admit I have a thing for Auditorium and Grand Auditorium size guitars. No Martins or Gibsons but I do own a Schmidt and two Kay Krafts with lower bouts in the 15" to 15 1/2" range. The place it really comes into play is with the Schmidt which has a birch top. The difference between the one with the 15" lower bout and the similarly built Concerts with the 13 1/2" lower bout is night and day.

I have some smaller guitars but the problem with them, unless I plug into an amp, is that they can't cut it in an ensemble setting. I find myself overdriving them to try and keep up with others. So I keep going back to my J-50 when I think I'm going to be around more than one other guitar player. The guys I play with even ask me to bring my J-50 as they think it sounds best when we all get together of a Friday night. I wish I could get away with something smaller and more comfortable, but there just isn't enough oomph.

I found something out....

I like them all!

I am anybody's.

But if I was doing a tutorial/online type lesson on this very computer, I prefer to sit here with my old Gibson L-0 instead of banging up a dread or new guitar on the edge of the desk/chair/wall doorway/computer etc - the worst of all worsts has already been done to the L-0 plus it is a nice manageable size.

When I picked up my HD28v, the guy gave me an M36 to try - that would be closer to the 165 Gibsons, wouldn't it?

BluesKing777.

I have some smaller guitars but the problem with them, unless I plug into an amp, is that they can't cut it in an ensemble setting. I find myself overdriving them to try and keep up with others. So I keep going back to my J-50 when I think I'm going to be around more than one other guitar player. The guys I play with even ask me to bring my J-50 as they think it sounds best when we all get together of a Friday night. I wish I could get away with something smaller and more comfortable, but there just isn't enough oomph.

My favorite guitars to play are my AJRI & '52 J-45, but if I seriously want to 'cut' in acoustic ensemble playing I take a '53 LG-2. Did it again tonight and it just works. Doesn't have the bass of a dread of course but the darned thing is very loud & has real cut for solos. The AJRI is also very loud but its presence is different in the middle register & I always feel the LG just cuts on thru.

Had all of these guitars 10+ years and play 'em all with a fairly stiff pick & I pick pretty hard when needed.

In terms of versatility, I'd have to vote for the J45 and its dimensions. Its a jumbo that can be picked or strummed and be used for all types of music. It can compete with any Martin at a bluegrass jam as well as be a fine singer-songwriter soloist's guitar. It can be played comfortably for hours with its short-scale neck. And, it can be gently played as a quiet finger-picking guitar. I also like smaller body guitars, but they don't hold up in ensembles or jams because of their smaller size projection and they generally overload with hard strumming...although they certainly are nice for small room soloing or practicing. But, so is the J45. I like the square bodied dreadnaughts too (I also own a couple of those and like 'em), but the J45 is the most versatile of them all to me.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I find the Gibson slope dread handles everything I need/am able to do perfectly AND it just sounds soooooo good.

I experimented with smaller shapes (parlor, 000) but couldn't get used to their sound/tone compared to a dread.

I don't think it's just the size, but I think the most versatile guitar is a Slope-shouldered jumbo. They...well at least the Gibsons and their impersonators...are nearly as balanced as an OM, and nearly as loud and punchy as a Martn dred. Get a good one (A good, stiff top and forward-shifted bracing helps) and you can drop them into double dropped D or DADGAD and make them hum sweetly with a beautifully balanced bottom end, or you can hit them hard with a thick flatpick and trade punches with a banjo.

A good slope is everything an OM would be if they had just a bit more testicular fortitude. Don't like throwing your arm over that big lower bout? Stand up and stop whining. :)

P

I find the Martin 000 or OM size to be the optimum size guitar for multi purpose playing. They are good in strumming and fingerpicking. I have a CF-100 which is L-2 size, which is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but a little bigger box would make it dynamite! I'm not sure, but I think the 165 Gibson size is closest to the OM-000 size of Martin? I would love to see some interesting tone wood and top combos on the 165 model. Do any of you guys have both Martin OM and Gibson 165? Similar tone woods? What is your assessment of the likenesses/differences????

Yes I have a Gibson CJ165 and a Martin 00028. They are very similar in weight, size and handle. The major difference is the sound and I can't explain why.

As often as I've gassed for a smaller body guitar, I find myself over and over again returning to the dreads and jumbo sizes. I think that a lot of it boils-down to the guitars we feel a personal connection with. At least that's kind of how I approach it. I know this tall and lanky gal, and she's pretty thin too, and she loves the smaller, even 3/4 size guitars. Her duo partner is short and pretty stocky and plays a Guild D55. Says the smaller guitars are hard to hang on to. I can see myself perhaps with a 000 size, but nothing smaller. The "most versatile guitar size" depends on who is using the guitar.....Good thread. [thumbup]

I don't think it's just the size,.. a Slope-shouldered jumbo..[is] nearly as balanced as an OM, and nearly as loud and punchy as a Martn dred. you can make them hum sweetly or you can trade punches with a banjo.
Those OMs are a comfortable shape and project well but they dont get it for me tonally, not the way a slope does. The small jumbo (J185/Martin M) also takes you to a lot of places but the slope is the one for me.

I had a short scale Martin-M built that seems to be satisfying the versatility for my taste but it seems the more I play variety of models the less difference I notice.

Archived