Gibson Brands Forums

The most versatile guitar size…….???

onewilyfool

I have a Gibson J-165. I like it but its not the most versatile guitar around. It really loses alot tuned to DADGAD and I like playing in that tuning. I think its the short scale. The strings don't have that much tension to begin with and when you lower them even more, you lose a lot of power. My Taylor 714 (Grand Auditorium) does alternate tunings better, is slightly louder for pure fingerstyle playing but I think the Gibson is a little better strummer. Its harder to overwhelm it.

I tried a Martin 000-28 in the store before buying the Gibson and I was not impressed with it. I think the deeper body on the Gibson adds some resonance but I'm just guessing. On the other hand I've gone into guitar stores many times wanting to find a Martin that I liked and it just never seems to work.

If I had to make do with just one guitar, I don't think the J-165 would be it.

Does anyone have a Martin OM/000 and a Gibson 165??? How do they compare?

OWF, Nodehopper has both, and to my ears they sound not at all alike

Been so long since I have checked in here and there is someone posting about me.... weird...

Yah...I agree with Peter... there is no comparison between my CJ-165 and my 000 Martins. The 000-15S and the 000-28EC have very different voices than my CJ. Partly because both the Martin guitars have that "Iconic" Martin sound while the 165 has that Gibson mid-range and volume. I personally consider the CJ-165 to be a more versatile all around guitar than either of my Martins. Even though it is a smaller body guitar I still grab the CJ-165 for playing with friends.

Of course a year or so ago I got a J-35 and it is also a totally different voice that I am learning to control and love. I have to say I really enjoy the very different voices I have guitar-wise and it is my responsibility to learn to make each sound its best. I need to learn to play to the guitars strengths using technique and song choice to pair with the guitar to make everything shine.

I think the answer is this: Stick with the OM, but if you want the perfect guitar, consider a Collings with either German or Engelmann spruce. The OM size and shape as well as the body depth make playing every style of music easier. However, the strumming limitations of most OM models (can be muddy, particularly with a heavy pick) can leave you searching for answers in the dreadnaught realm. +

Collings seems to have all the problems fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bAO1PrI14w

Archived