Gibson Brands Forums

ES-347S

scotrock

Hi Pin thank you very much for the prompt reply, so the "s" represents "Special order" that is good to know. These guitars seem to be under rated, the features and the fitting seem to be to a higher standard than the SE-335!

Don't know why anyone would under rate a 347, it's an awesome instrument. While it's purely subjective to the individual, I would venture to say that those who may not like them are in the minority.

As long as the instrument is in good condition and you agree with the price, I would say go for it! [thumbup]

I believe the poster was referring to 347's (meaning plural). I have a 1981 ES 347 TD. The "TD" stands for Thinline and Dual Pickup. I've been looking up ES 347 minutiae online for years and I have never come across an ES 347S. The ES 347 is an outstanding Gibson creation that will someday get the respect it deserves!

Yep, the ES 347 is a beauty.

I stumbled on mine in Stamford CT. At Daddy's Junky Music while looking for a jazz electric. They didn't have what I was looking for but the manager from Orange happened to be working there and told me he had this cherry sunburst 347 up at his store and if I wanted he would send it down for me to check out. He did, and I did and after some thinking about whether I wanted a cherry sunburst (not my favorite finish...but I love this one!) and a little haggling I picked it up for 800 ducats. It appears to have had something done as there is a third switch on mine and also the tuning pegs seem to have been changed at one time because there are holes showing, but they look original now. I'll have to look for that pic. The serial number on the label inside the guitar reads 91530312 and identifies the guitar as a ES-347-S

I named her Josephine...'Hey Joe' for short, hehe

But meanwhile here is the one picture I have and the e-mail I got from Gibson about it:

JD,

Thanks for writing. This serial number comes up as a 1990 ES-347 in heritage cherry sunburst with gold hardware. This finish wasn't a regular production color, so it was considered a "special run." The switches are most likely aftermarket, as the ES-347 didn't call for those switches. As for the tuners, if you can send a pic of the back of the headstock we may be able to tell what tuners were originally installed. Thanks again for writing.

Best Regards,

Blake Howard

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

JOSEPHINE

Don't know why my pics won't show up here, but here's the link:P

Truly is a Red Headed Step Child:)

Scotrock the ES-347-S means "Special Run". See if you can get a picture of and post it.

• 6 months later...

I have owned a 1990 ES-347 since 1993. It was new when I got it. It is one the finest guitars I own and it will do anything you want it to do. A very versatile guitar because of the coil-tap switch which goes from humbucker to single coil operation of both pickups. I believe this is the "S" designation because of the position of the coil tap. They moved it from the lower bout( Mickey-mouse ear) to the position near the pickup selector and after the move I think Gibson called it an "S" model, which occurred in the mid-'80s.

However there is no change in the function between a regular ES-347 an "S" model. They also stopped making them with a steel nut around the same time. Again this will not affect the guitar's function as the changes were only cosmetic. I believe they did this to sell more guitars, as the coil-tap was in a poorly accessible position and the old-school Gibson aficionado's HATED the steel nut. I just looked at the inner label inside the body of my guitar and it is a ES347-S.

Basically this guitar is a BBKing model with f-holes, and without the Varitone selector. The hardware is similar except the 347 has Series 7 (AKA Dirty fingers with gold covers) pickups. The BBKing (AKA Lucille) has 490/480 humbuckers with alnico magnets; the Series7 or Dirty Fingers pickups comes with ceramic magnets. They both share a composite 3-piece maple neck, ebony fingerboard, TP-6 stopbar, and a all-maple laminated body. The 335, 345, and the 355 all have a similar body, but a one piece mahogany neck was used. They also tended to use PAF style pickups in these 3 models. Here are pics of mine, note the darker metallic Coil-tap switch next to the plastic tipped pickup selector:

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1053-1.jpg

Ok. Here are the remaining pics. They're probably on this site somewhere, too. All my guitars look good because I don't sweat much when I play. If it is a hot day I wipe them down before putting them away. This guitar was about 20 years old, when I took these. I also used some Gibson pump polish, too.

This article explains the history of this guitar, despite the references to the ES-357, a very rare model. You will see how Gibson conceived the ES-347 as an upscale model in comparison to the ES-335. Here is the link:

My link

IMG_1056-1.jpg

IMG_1052-1.jpg

Great looking guitar qblue.

Thanks for sharing those pics. I have not seen them before on here.

Interesting about the Series 7 pickups which are the same as on my Les Paul 25 / 50 which, of course, also has coil tapping.

• 3 years later...

Thanks. That 347 (souped up 335) is one of my best guitars for sound and playability.

Pin I see you have a Yamaha SG 2000. I have a SBG 2100. Mine killed my desire for a Les Paul w/ humbuckers. How's yours?

Very late in the day to answer your question qblue (I missed it) but my Yamaha SG is in many ways my prime guitar. It is modified with Bare Knuckle "Mule" pickups (four conductor) with a version of Jimmy Page wiring (all four pots do various things).

It is also fitted with a Fishman Triple Play hex pickup for midi purposes and to drive my Roland VG99 and other Roland guitar synths (do this via midi rather than through Roland's 13 pin system although I can do that too via my Roland Strat).

Archived