Gibson Brands Forums

Prince has got more guitary

Rabs

I thought he did decent 'live' guitar work when he headlined the Super bowl halftime a few years ago.

Pretty agile fellow on those lead runs. Very dynamic with his chord use. Plus a very talented band.

I have a theory:

He's damn near 60 now (born in 1958) so he can't do the sexy dance thing without acheing. Guitar is a logical thing for him to turn to.

Madonna has been playing guitar on tour and frankly I wish she'd stop dancing, it scares me when she does. Her playing a bit of Pantera on an LP was fun enough.

These old timers gotta give their knees a rest. [flapper]

I have a theory:

He's damn near 60 now (born in 1958) so he can't do the sexy dance thing without acheing. Guitar is a logical thing for him to turn to.

Madonna has been playing guitar on tour and frankly I wish she'd stop dancing, it scares me when she does. Her playing a bit of Pantera on an LP was fun enough.

These old timers gotta give their knees a rest. [flapper]

Lol... probably...

He probably also has to get special hip insurance just in case he forgets himself and tries to do the splits or something :)

Ehhh...IMHO, he's a Jerk!

Especially, after he trashed Kirk Douglas' Vintage '61-62 Epi Crestwood, in front

of Kirk, and a national viewing audience. [cursing]http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/Features/2013/Kirk-Douglas-The-Epiphone-Interview.aspx

That was the "last straw" for me. But, then I've never been much of a "Prince" fan, anyway.

He's obviously "talented," but not the type person, I'd want to support by buying any of his

music. I don't care how "brilliant" he may be.

CB

So I been checking out some of Princes new videos with his new all girl band... Hes certainly got more rocky and guitary....

Apparently hes re-worked some of his classic tunes to suit this new band more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMABC22tfwg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_9tCBDHtE

Rabs, did you happen to catch him on Jimmy Fallon a couple months ago? Anyway he came out and did his thing and at the end he slams his guitar and walks off the stage. Jimmy comes over and the guitar is making all kinds of noise and you could see that Jimmy did not know what to say. His expression was priceless.

Rabs, did you happen to catch him on Jimmy Fallon a couple months ago? Anyway he came out and did his thing and at the end he slams his guitar and walks off the stage. Jimmy comes over and the guitar is making all kinds of noise and you could see that Jimmy did not know what to say. His expression was priceless.

Lol... no I didn't see that and (for once) it doesn't seem to be on youtube...

I know Prince is a bit of an odd diva type... but I do like some of his stuff.. hes one of those who when I like his music I REALLY like it but theres also a lot I really don't like.

Never been a huge fan of his music. The production and sound quality of his recordings are exceptional.

Not that anyone cares about high fidelity anymore.

Plus there is no denying his guitar playing is great.

But I'm not into his music,, never bought any,, never listen to it, and it doesn't get me off.

But he was always pretty guitary... ;)

lol.

Rabs,,, did you just make that word up???

Well a couple things strike me...

One, no matter how much I dislike his persona and the perception and turmoil he's created in order to hype himself over the years, I can't deny he's got playing skills, even if it isn't even close to my thing...

I also get a Hendrix and Lenny Kravitz feel from his new thing. He's definitely put guitars into more of a focus in his band's sound and seeming prime-directive. I'd even say he's probably a more dynamic and talented player than is Lenny Kravitz, he's certainly more dynamically melodic and goes alot more places with his playing than Lenny does...

It does seem like he's trying to go for a bit of a Hendrix thing, but he's too egotistical to be true to much other than himself... Which is a good thing I think. I think it'd suck if he was only some Hendrix tribute...

I know, I know, those vids sounded nothing like Hendrix. I think it has more to do with the look right now than the music for which he's trying to make a connection...

I can't recall if he ever played in any of the Experience Hendrix projects or not... I wouldn't be surprised if he has...

I can't take away from what he can do with a guitar, but I've just never liked the guy and he's never captured my ambition to want to see him in concert, ever...

Having said that, I'd certainly pick him over acts I have seen in the past and alot of stuff out there...

Prince is a monster. Like most little metal heads in the 80's I was too cool to listen to him when he first came out. Over time I have learned to truly appreciate how utterly monster he is. It was really studying how bass playing that started to open my eyes. When you hear a Prince studio recording that's all him.

Prince also goes down in my books as a god because he is one of the few cats alive that has any real interest in preserving the funk at all. Is he insane? Yes, like most decent guitar players he's full of himself and his detachment from the real work eventually result in him being a certifiable nut ball.

If you're ever interested he knowing just how insane Prince is watch this clip of Kevin Smith talking about him. Too funny. [biggrin]

Rabs,,, did you just make that word up???

Lol.... yes I often find I need to make up words as either the word I want to describe something doesn't exist or my vocabulary is just so bad its easier for me :D

Archived