Gibson Brands Forums

ghs Martin Custom Strings on CS-336?

Gibson Taylor

I am considering trying out a set of GHS Electric Flatwound Pat Martino Custom (15-52) Light, Full Set (CU-martino light) on my CS-336.

Wondering if any of you has tried a heavier light gauge on this guitar, and more importantly, is it safe to put strings this heavy on the CS-336?

The gauges are as follows:

1st E Plain Steel .015

2nd B Plain Steel .017

3rd G Stainless Steel Flatwound .024

4th D Stainless Steel Flatwound .032

5th A Stainless Steel Flatwound .042

6th E Stainless Steel Flatwound .052

They won't damage the instrument, will they? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

post-38037-072660200 1400967752_thumb.jpg

Hi ,

I do not know if my experience would help because I own a 339:

some years ago I tried to mount Jazz flatwound on my 339, ans the expensive strings ended ....

in the litter bin.

First, thes were too big for the nut slots, secondly the resulting soud was as flat as the strings,

it killed all the harmonics and the amazing C57 sound.

So I came back to the Gibson 10/46 and I m still very happy with it for any style ( in the 339 range of

course)

Though I don't think it will do any damage, though the posts for the saddle could bend from the added tension. But it should be ok, since it is mostly heavier on the first three strings ( when compared to a regular 12-51 set). I would really make sure the break angle on the tailpiece is set correct, as to avoid too much tension on the saddle. You will need to alter your nut, adjust the neck and bridge height and intonation.

Curious as to why you want to go so heavy? Do you play slide?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - You'll have to open up the slots in the nut to accommodate the larger strings. You'll surely have to tighten up the truss rod a little to keep the neck relief correct. And don't crank down the stop bar. Leave it up so that the break angle over the saddles is no steeper than the angle up at the headstock where the strings go over the nut. That's like 15 degrees maximum. That will lessen the amount of forward pressure on the bridge.

Archived