Gibson Brands Forums

Riders on the Storm - J45 - cover

flatbaroque

Saw a doco on the Doors recently and Robbie Krieger the guitarist said the inspiration for this song came from Ghostriders in The Sky...even the main riff was kind of deconstructed from it.I thought that was kind of interesting and fun.

Here's what a J-45 standard sounds like strummed medium hard with fingernails.

Cheers all.

What year is the J-45? What strings?

DC

It's a 2010 standard.I bought it used but near new on a holiday in Tokyo.I think the strings are DR Sunbeams.I usually just use D'addario EJ-16's but gave the others a go.Lasting pretty well.But I have a high tolerance for old strings.

Enjoy your weekend.

It's a 2010 standard.I bought it used but near new on a holiday in Tokyo.I think the strings are DR Sunbeams.I usually just use D'addario EJ-16's but gave the others a go.Lasting pretty well.But I have a high tolerance for old strings.

Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks FB. You have a good one too.

DC

FB,

I can't get the link to work on my phone... I'll have a listen later tonight. Looking forward to it... My band in High School covered this song thirty years ago!

I love the doors, and even tried to do an acoustic cover of Peace Frog. It ummmmmmmm didn't work out. :)

haha...good on ya Sal.Its another one of my cutting edge 30 year old covers [biggrin] ...I remember i had a double live album I used to love....i think one whole side was taken up by "Celebration of the Lizard"..a strange excursion into weirdness!

Is everybody in

The ceremony is about to begin

Nice one cobber. Was hoping for the full 15 minute version😆

Ah..BBG..that jogged my memory I hadn't heard it for maybe 15 years..it all came back with that little intro phrase...I just had a listen to it on the tube..pretty cool poetry and jazzy creepy fun..stands up well

I always like your music, FB. You can sing, and so do your guitars. This J45 is pretty sweet. Very Gibsonesque. Keep doing what you're doing, my friend. And I'm with you on the old strings...lol...In fact, you just inspired me to change the strings on my J45. Been over a year now. I just changed the strings on my J60 last week. First time since I got it (Feb. 2013). Tough teaching an old dog new tricks, because we're so comfortable with the old ones.[thumbup]

I always like your music, FB. You can sing, and so do your guitars. This J45 is pretty sweet. Very Gibsonesque. Keep doing what you're doing, my friend. And I'm with you on the old strings...lol...In fact, you just inspired me to change the strings on my J45. Been over a year now. I just changed the strings on my J60 last week. First time since I got it (Feb. 2013). Tough teaching an old dog new tricks, because we're so comfortable with the old ones.[thumbup]

Cheers Larry.Your good natured comments are always a tonic. And nice to see another slack string changer [smile]

Yeah, and on that J60, the only reason I changed the strings is because the pickup battery went dead. So, I figured since I had to literally take them off to get to the battery...lol....I thought they still sounded pretty good. I put on a set of Earl Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. When I first got them tuned-up, I was impressed. Of course, rubber bands would have probably been an improvement after almost a year-and-a-half...lol.......But seriously, I think recording like we enjoy doing would benefit greatly if we changed the strings at least every 4-5 months. Often, we can't hear it, but others might and it effects our music. Think how good these Gibsons will sound with fresh strings.

Apologies FB - I can't use YouTube on my iPad and have intended to listen on another p.c., but need to keep the work going....

I will have a listen when things quieten down tomorrow.

(I got into trouble once at a gig. I was playing country blues on a Dobro and this drunk kept yelling out: 'Play The Doors'

So after my patience wore out, I replied: 'There's the eff@@@@@@//// ########*********ing doors, go through them!' Then the bouncer beat him, I think.

BluesKing777.

Thanks Sal.All those Martin 18's are good..000, OM, D's.I like 'em all.

BK...hahaha...was that incident in 1978 in a small pub 3 kms west of the Black Stump? That was me you b*******d! you owe me 2 front teeth ( back dated) [biggrin]

That was you?

I suppose it was you dragging your guitar through the pub with the lead dragging behind you that time, too? Wanting to get up and play as well? Aha!

The bouncer asked me if you were being a nuisance and when I said you were, thinking you would get thrown out. But no - he smacked you real hard and dragged your bu** out the door by the curlies! Was that you?

What a small world.

Oh, I like the Doors, don't think I don't!

BluesKing777.

I most definitely DON'T want to play the Black Stump Hotel again...ever...

But I am going to pinch your version of Riders OTS!

It reminds me a bit of Dave Bromberg's version of some Dylan tunes.

Thanks FB, good idea and well played/sung with the J45.

BluesKing777.

Archived