Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM EXCHANGE - ASK FOR ADVISE

Mariusz

Hi Folks,

I just got offer for exchange mine Fender Tele '75: http://www.gitarion.pl/galeria/elektryczne/fender_telecaster_1975/fender_telecaster_1975.html

for Gibson LP Custom '75: http://www.gitarion.pl/galeria/elektryczne/gibson_les_paul_custom_1975/gibson_les_paul_custom_1975.html for my collection.

Please tell me if is this Gibson 100% original, nothing changed or repaired and in good condition and if so, whether such exchange has sense or is profitable. Thank you very much for advices!

Best Regards

Mariusz

I don't know about repaired, but it looks like the headstock is cracked at the top of the neck, like it needs repair or was repaired poorly. Cannot think of any reason why anyone would trade a 75 Les Paul for a 75 Tele otherwise.

Everything else looks pretty original, not sure about the serial number. I would not trade unless I could see the neck in person. If the headstock/neck is good, I might trade.

Guess it's a personal thing, as is always to a certain degree when about guitars. [rolleyes]

Can't say for sure but these cracks in the finish may occur on older guitars, in particular on three-piece maple necks. As long as there aren't significant ridges at the back of the neck, I don't care if there has been no larger damage like a broken neck or peghead. Maple necks are less prone to suffer snapped-off headstocks.

In any case, caution, awareness and coolness are recommendable.

I find it unusual that there are so many close up pics of most of the guitar except the back side of the headstock where there seems to be a repair. Not a good one from what I can see. They can be repaired as strong as new or better but I would factor that in to the value.

Great looking guitar otherwise.

Can you try it out?

Dave

I find it unusual that there are so many close up pics of most of the guitar except the back side of the headstock where there seems to be a repair. Not a good one from what I can see. They can be repaired as strong as new or better but I would factor that in to the value.

Great looking guitar otherwise.

Can you try it out?

Dave

Many thanks Dave and All for polite advices.

I had a similar suspicion like you, but I wanted to make sure. Probability of broke the head is too high. Unfortunately I have no possibilities to check this live so I resigned from exchange.

Kind Regards

Mariusz

My First thought was... what's with all these obtuse angle pictures?

you need a good straight on picture of the head stock and part of the neck, front and back.

The gang here will tell you for sure then

the bodies on those old Norlin's are a pancake of wood, so it's not surprising the strip on the body that separates the top and bottom. Your biggest concern is a good picture of the neck/head stock.

Many thanks Dave and All for polite advices.

I had a similar suspicion like you, but I wanted to make sure. Probability of broke the head is too high. Unfortunately I have no possibilities to check this live so I resigned from exchange.

Kind Regards

Mariusz

Wise decision for sure .. [biggrin]

Archived