Gibson Brands Forums

Clip on tuners

discodj78

I have a batch of Snarks.

I feel that they're especially good in a noisy place. But...

Guess what I started using most at home at least?

Martin guitar has a marvelous little tuning device for Android and iPhones. It'll give you a sound or match the pitch like a tuner.

http://www.martinguitar.com/martin-tuner

I'm not into Martin necks or feel, but that little ap does the job.

Edit: BTW, I had a PR4e and it's a nice little guitar if you treat it right.

m

I don't understand why people want hang black plastic worts on their headstocks.

I think they use them to tune, or check the tuning of, their guitars without having a tuner in the signal path or, in the case of purely acoustic guitars, attached to a microphone. msp_flapper.gif

Seriously though - a decent clip on tuner is a great little gadget and serves a totally different purpose to a 'plugged in' one. Clip it on, quick check, back in the pocket - done and sorted - all whilst keeping the audience in your eyeline rather than looking at your feet.

I tried some nice square thing (I have tuners for the case of each of my guitars that aren't AE/tuner equipped).

Not sure if it was a Fender, but I'll say this: It ran out of "juice" so quickly I haven't a clue where it is now - and got a cupla more Snarks.

m

Got to thinking on this a bit...

"tuners" didn't exist as such when I started. But I bought a pitch pipe along with my first guitar.

The free Martin tuner ap will let you do that, or it'll tell you where you are on pitch. Free.

m

My next tuner will be a clip on.

I have the ubiquitous, TI-35 sized 'brick' tuner. Two of them, in fact. Works well for the music room, but on the road at Bluegrass jams or other venues with umpteen instruments it needs a stick on, suction cup pick-up to isolate my axe.

This season the suction cup (3-4 years old) finally gave up the ghost. Just old and stiff enough that no amount of spittle will make it stick long enough to tune.

The clip-ons I've borrowed a jams isolate my guitar very well. Be sure to pack an extra battery. I don't know if it's me or the fact these tuners go through button batteries like penny candy, but half the time I borrow one the battery dies.

I intend to clip it on to tune, then back in the tool box. I nearly blinded a jam mate once with a Kysor capo clipped to my headstock. He walked into the kitchen and hooked his glasses on the protruding lever. Now-a-days, I just keep it in my pocket when not in use. Truth be told I don't use the Kysor anymore. I procured a Shubb somewhere along the way. I now have 3 Kysors for sale (bought one, 2 came with used guitar acquisitions)

I use a Korg clip on for all my guitars except my PRS electric, which has NO room on the headstock! I also use the Planet Waves guitar tools app which in addition to a tuner has a metronome, chord finder, chord dictionary and scales. They both work quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived