Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a good deal? Help please

jimmiJAMM

Thanks' date=' guys! I reminded him we're in a recession and offered $1,000 cash. Money talks, suckers walk. We'll see. ](*,)[/quote']

$1800 isnt a bad price....if i was to haggle, i would have gone in at $1300-1400, as not to insult him. if i were him, i would think youre a jerkoff and would tell you so.

yeah, you can get Standards on ebay for less, but at least you can play this one first. the same goes for places like MF, (which in my experience are always blems and returns). and i would take a lester from 4 years ago over any chambered post 2005 or new spec 2008 standard any day of the week.

$1800 isnt a bad price....if i was to haggle' date=' i would have gone in at $1300-1400, as not to insult him. if i were him, i would think youre a jerkoff and would tell you so.[/quote']

Nice response, ****** bag. If you're looking for a flame war, try another forum.

Thing is, I just recently bought an SG Standard so I'm not seriously looking for another guitar, hence the low offer. I figured if he went for it, cool. If not, no biggie.

Btw- As someone so sensitive to insulting strangers online, YOU should think before you type.

I was thinking along the same lines as Fenn, although I would have worded it differently. If $1800 is decent and $1600 is a good deal, then $1000 is insulting. An offer of $1200 to $1300 would have been low, but reasonable. If I were the seller, I would have ignored the low-ball offer but would have at least discussed the reasonable offer.

And another thing, if I post a link on a Les Paul forum (with thousands of members) asking "is this a good deal?", I expect the first response to be "Yes, it was a smokin' deal. That's why I just bought it".

neogeo.....I don't think Fenn meant to flame. If you were the guy with that guitar posted at that price for sale' date=' would you be insulted by an offer like that?

Just a thought.....[/quote']

I see your point and it is valid. Personally, I'm not so easily offended and If I was lowballed to that degree, I'd simply ignore the offer and not think poorly of that person. I've bought & sold many things on CL and sometimes I've accepted offers well below asking price and other times I've made a low offer and had that offer accepted. Such is the state of affairs in a free market.

Nice response' date=' ****** bag. If you're looking for a flame war, try another forum.

Thing is, I just recently bought an SG Standard so I'm not seriously looking for another guitar, hence the low offer. I figured if he went for it, cool. If not, no biggie.

Btw- As someone so sensitive to insulting strangers online, YOU should think before you type.[/quote']

my thought was well conceived and executed. and despite my bluntness, if anyone is a ****** in this thread, it is you. you're just another lowballing, tirekicker. **** or get off the pot; dont waste the man's time.

Guest alanhindle
Gibson Les Paul Standard

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/982852685.html

Not sure and I don't have time to do the research. Whatever info you guys can give me on this guitar would be greatly appreciated. The more the better.

Thanks!

To me it looks a bit like it could be a faded LP standard which would make it a bad deal.

It could just be the light or my eyes though.

Can you get better pics from the seller?

I see your point and it is valid. Personally' date=' I'm not so easily offended and If I was lowballed to that degree, I'd simply ignore the offer and not think poorly of that person. I've bought & sold many things on CL and sometimes I've accepted offers well below asking price and other times I've made a low offer and had that offer accepted. Such is the state of affairs in a free market.[/quote']

I see both sides of the argument, I see where Fenn is coming from and I also see where you're coming from. I listed a few guitars and CL and I got low ball offers, too. I just ignore them too but a few retards emailed me repeatedly asking me if I accepted their offer. I'm not going to accept $500 for my Les Paul Standard when the asking price is $1,900, thanks. See what I mean?

I'd just write back and say meet me at the Tim Horton's at so & so intersection. Obviously, I didn't show...doubt they did either, but I'm sure they got the point.

I'm sure some of these low ball offers get accepted. You never know - a woman lost her husband, now she's selling his guitar...something like that, anyways.

I forget the exact amout, but here's a perfect example. A friend of a friend came across a boat for sale, checked it out and it was a recent widow that had no idea what the boat was worth. He said something like "I was going to offer you $6,000 but I'd feel guilty; so, I'll give you $8,000." She accepted and the boat was actually closer to $60,000. True story.

I'd just write back and say meet me at the Tim Horton's at so & so intersection. Obviously' date=' I didn't show...doubt they did either, but I'm sure they got the point.[/quote']

That was you. What a bastard. I waited at the intersection for hours. Froze my *** off.

Archived