Gibson Brands Forums

New Johnny A signature model

Rabs

Ohh man that's so sweet (sorry Quap cant help myself :))....... Always liked that body shape [thumbup]

Another long scale 25.5" jobby.. VERY nice though, built like a 336 from a hollowed out solid body.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Archtop/Gibson-Custom/Johnny-A-Signature.aspx

By merging timeless tone and taste with utterly contemporary technique, Johnny A has earned a reputation as one of the most talented guitarists working today. The original Johnny A Signature guitar became one of Gibson Custom’s most popular artist models right from its unveiling in 2003. Now the new Johnny A brings the same blend of classic appointments and original design forward with a host of great new features, in a superbly versatile new semi-acoustic electric guitar that you’ll want to call your own.

Blending features of Gibson’s big archtops of the past with innovative techniques of today, the Johnny A Signature is crafted by Gibson Custom with a “thinline” body routed from a single piece of select Grade-A mahogany, capped with a two-piece figured maple top. Unique Johnny A “scimitar” f-holes, elegant multi-ply binding, and a luscious Sunset Glow finish in high-gloss nitrocellulose lacquer set the foundation for an extremely classy look. The quarter-sawn mahogany neck has the longer 25 1/2" scale length and rounded profile that Johnny A prefers. Unique inlays in a bound, black Richlite fingerboard and custom headstock and gold-plated hardware complete the picture. Two of Gibson’s immensely popular 57 Classic humbucking pickups offer that legendary blend of PAF-style warmth and bite, while a genuine Bigsby™ vibrato lends retro twang and wobble when you want it. Includes a hardshell Custom Shop case and Custom Crimson Certificate of Authenticity.

$6299

CS-JASSGBG1-Finish-Shot_zps59381940.jpg

CS-JASSGBG1-Back-Shot_zps6eeaf510.jpg

CS-JASSGBG1-Glam-Shot_zpsab7bc6e9.jpg

Cool cut. I don't know who Jhonny A is. I'm going to google.

Isn't $6k a bit much for a guitar? [flapper]

YES it is :)

and I don't know too much about him but ive seen a few vids on the tube... pretty cool... like a slightly less out there Jeff Beck (a bit, in the jazzy style sense)

Love this guitar, here's mine…

WOW.. that is so, so sweet man [thumbup]

Hows the neck on that baby? All the description says is that's its rounded.. but how fat is it? (or thin :))

YES it is :)

and I don't know too much about him but ive seen a few vids on the tube... pretty cool... like a slightly less out there Jeff Beck (a bit, in the jazzy style sense)

What the funk did I just watch? Pretty cool! [thumbup]

Richlite fingerboard on a $6000 guitar?

HA!

Woe… Mine has an ebony board and I got it new for around half of what they are asking now…

The neck on mine is beefy but feels good. It plays like a dream and I have flat wounds on it… It's a great guitar for controlled feed back too. The A holes and the Bigsby make make the guitar very expressive. If you have seen my video it's what I used in the recording to get the sustainy feedbacks….

Cool cut. I don't know who Jhonny A is. I'm going to google.

Isn't $6k a bit much for a guitar? [flapper]

Yes!

But it is an extremely sweet guitar. I had to google him myself when I first saw the model, in an MF or Sweetwater catalog a few years back, and was instantly covetous...

It is an extremely well built guitar with many artisan accoutrements in design and adornments, but it's still rather a steep price! If I could stumble into one extremely cheap, which ain't about to happen, I'd buy one...

I'd prefer the hard-tail and would do without the Bigsby personally, but they are really fine guitars!

I'd like one, but would not be willing to pay that kind of money for one...

But they are exceptional axes!

these are nice, but definitely more $$$ than I would want to shell out.

I've seen Johnny A a few times, actually met him at a funeral of all places, one of my friends moms, His (now X) wife is Johnny's sister.

He's a great player.

Johnny is married to one of my best friends's sister... When I was in high school I played drums in a band and our guitar player's sister got married to Johnny... They are still married as far as I know. Johnny was playing around in the Boston area with local bands at the time. He was always considered as one of the best guitar players on the scene at the time... Haven't seen him in years but I do see his wife occasionally when I go home for visits.

I bought the guitar because I loved it though not because I know Johnny...

He is so smooth.

For some strange reason my last guitar teacher was hell bent on teaching me "Oh Yeah".

I probably got about half way through it, by playing it 3/4 or maybe even half the speed Johnny plays it at.

But when I tried to get it up to Johnny tempo,,, well ,, that is why the top of my head is missing.

Ohh man that's so sweet (sorry Quap cant help myself :))....... Always liked that body shape [thumbup]

Another long scale 25.5" jobby.. VERY nice though, built like a 336 from a hollowed out solid body.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Archtop/Gibson-Custom/Johnny-A-Signature.aspx

By merging timeless tone and taste with utterly contemporary technique, Johnny A has earned a reputation as one of the most talented guitarists working today. The original Johnny A Signature guitar became one of Gibson Custom’s most popular artist models right from its unveiling in 2003. Now the new Johnny A brings the same blend of classic appointments and original design forward with a host of great new features, in a superbly versatile new semi-acoustic electric guitar that you’ll want to call your own.

Blending features of Gibson’s big archtops of the past with innovative techniques of today, the Johnny A Signature is crafted by Gibson Custom with a “thinline” body routed from a single piece of select Grade-A mahogany, capped with a two-piece figured maple top. Unique Johnny A “scimitar” f-holes, elegant multi-ply binding, and a luscious Sunset Glow finish in high-gloss nitrocellulose lacquer set the foundation for an extremely classy look. The quarter-sawn mahogany neck has the longer 25 1/2" scale length and rounded profile that Johnny A prefers. Unique inlays in a bound, black Richlite fingerboard and custom headstock and gold-plated hardware complete the picture. Two of Gibson’s immensely popular 57 Classic humbucking pickups offer that legendary blend of PAF-style warmth and bite, while a genuine Bigsby™ vibrato lends retro twang and wobble when you want it. Includes a hardshell Custom Shop case and Custom Crimson Certificate of Authenticity.

$6299

CS-JASSGBG1-Finish-Shot_zps59381940.jpg

CS-JASSGBG1-Back-Shot_zps6eeaf510.jpg

CS-JASSGBG1-Glam-Shot_zpsab7bc6e9.jpg

I'm with you Rabs, love the shape. It kind of reminds me of the Rickenbacker 330

Archived