Gibson Brands Forums

Why did i wait so long...

Greg1967

Oh my gosh. I love my SG Special. I've been playing an Ibanez RG270DX for the last 10 years. It's still a great guitar. The neck takes some getting used to (used to the wizard neck on my Ibanez). But it is so nice. I can get used to it. I am definitely sold on Gibson. I foresee an SG Standard in my not too distant future.

I understand, totally. I waited 40 years, between owning an SG, again!

Why? Various reasons (some good, some not so good), but until recently,

they didn't have the kind of beveling, and horn tapering I was used to,

and dearly loved, in the early and mid-Sixties! Since they've gone back

to that, on a lot of models, I went SG "Crazy" last year, and bought 4!

One for every 10 years I didn't own one, previously, I guess??? Sounds

good, anyway. LOL [biggrin]

CB

I got my first SG in 06, (Classic).. and thought that scratched the itch..

nope,, bought a standard in 2012..

Les Pauls are my first love, but I admit to being somewhat smitten by SGs these days.

I got my first SG in 06, (Classic).. and thought that scratched the itch..

nope,, bought a standard in 2012..

Les Pauls are my first love, but I admit to being somewhat smitten by SGs these days.

That's an easy affliction, to have, Kidblast! SG's seem to have literally "taken over,"

my playing choices, these days. If it's just a "honeymoon" thing, then it's lasted a

over a year, now! They're just so easy, to play, hold, and become quite attached to! [biggrin]

CB

Welcome to the club. I bought all these in the last couple of years. I bought an early 80's one brand new but sold it and did not have another SG for about 30 years. I had no interest in having one but got interested when the prices dropped at Gibson after the Govt raid. The first one I bought was the red Special (Classic) I got hooked after buying the second one, the white Pete Townsend one with the P90's.

11091466666_3a16f8ba1d_z.jpg

I know what you mean. I've been playing since '76 and just bought my first SG last year. I love it. The upper frets are extremely accessible.

I was reluctant because I had played one that someone hadn't taken care of in the 80's and figured the neck joints were weak. Plus seeing Pete Townsend do the neck vibrato trick. But my neck joint is solid and extremely comfortable. Enjoy!

I know what you mean. I've been playing since '76 and just bought my first SG last year. I love it. The upper frets are extremely accessible.

I was reluctant because I had played one that someone hadn't taken care of in the 80's and figured the neck joints were weak. Plus seeing Pete Townsend do the neck vibrato trick. But my neck joint is solid and extremely comfortable. Enjoy!

I love the neck vibrato trick! Part of why I like SG's. Townsend also did that with Les Paul's too. It just takes a bit more effort.

Welcome to the club. I bought all these in the last couple of years. I bought an early 80's one brand new but sold it and did not have another SG for about 30 years. I had no interest in having one but got interested when the prices dropped at Gibson after the Govt raid. The first one I bought was the red Special (Classic) I got hooked after buying the second one, the white Pete Townsend one with the P90's.

11091466666_3a16f8ba1d_z.jpg

Man,that is some good looking wood you have there.I've got an SG itch myself,Heading down Phoenix way real soon to GC..Gonna look for an SG in that Chocolate Satin.Tasty.

Archived