Gibson Brands Forums

l need help from the experts!

tulee12!

Okay... I am at the end of my rope here.

This will be lengthy, so please bear with me.

I have three Gibson Les Pauls and a couple of electric acoustics. I have a "music room" in my finished basement where all my guitars and amps are. I have played in this room (a large room) for quite some time without any problems. About a month ago, I was playing my 2013 Traditional with S.D. Anniversary Hot Rodded pickups and started experiencing gawd awful warbling, pulsing sounds when doing slides and hammer ons... mainly in my high E, G, and B strings. The sounds are very bad (have got worse) from the second fret through the eleventh fret... and still exists at higher frets but not as strong.

I re-set up my guitar and put new strings on it. Intonation is spot on. I have checked all screws, tuners, etc for looseness. Truss rod is good too. I took the guitar to a luthier and they found nothing wrong. It played fine through their Marshall half stack. They confirmed the set up and intonation were great.

When I arrived home, I tried my other two guitars and now they are doing it too... to a lesser extent, presumably because they have milder pups (57s and 490s). I assumed it was my amp, a Fender Mustang 4 v.2. I purchased a Peavey Delta Blues 115 this week and my guitars are not making the noise on it... but I can't seem to bond with the DB amp as it seems very harsh, shrill, and piercing. I can't seem to get a good tone with the DB amp. The only way I can tame the piercing harshness in the new amp is to turn my treble nearly all the way down on the amp and then it sounds muddy and lacks articulation. It lacks sustain and sounds "cheap" orshallow on the DB amp.

I had to run to the (City) today, so I loaded up my Fender Mustang IV amp and took it to a tech. The amp is fine and played without a hitch there!

I came home and played my guitars on the amp with all foot buttons and pedals removed and the sh_t sound is still there. Tried a new Monster cable... still crap. It sounds as if multiple notes are playing on each fret. This only happens with gain/distortion. When playing clean, there are no issues.

I sat down with my guitars today determined to get to the bottom of this and it seems like when I do slides and hammer ons, all my other strings are vibrating ever so slightly, ruining the tone/sound of the note I slide or hammer into.

I never experienced this issue before. I have moved my amp to other rooms in the house and still have these wolf tones.

Anybody out there ever experience this before? I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. Nothing has changed in my "studio" and the only change to my house is we had a metal roof installed about a month ago... but I doubt that would affect my signal.

I welcome any help I can get.

Thanks... RJ

Guest Farnsbarns

Okay... I am at the end of my rope here.

This will be lengthy, so please bear with me.

I have three Gibson Les Pauls and a couple of electric acoustics. I have a "music room" in my finished basement where all my guitars and amps are. I have played in this room (a larthe room) for quite some time without any problems. About a month ago, I was playing my 2013 Traditional with S.D. Anniversary Hot Rodded pickups and started experiencing gawd awful warbling, pulsing sounds when doing slides and hammer ons... mainly in my high E, G, and B strings. The sounds are very bad (have got worse) from the second fret through the eleventh fret... and still exists at higher frets but not as strong.

I re-set up my guitar and put new strings on it. Intonation is spot on. I have checked all screws, tuners, etc for looseness. Truss rod is good too. I took the guitar to a luthier and they found nothing wrong. It played fine through their Marshall half stack. They confirmed the set up and intonation were great.

When I arrived home, I tried my other two guitars and now they are doing it too... to a lesser extent, presumably because they have milder pups (57s and 490s). I assumed it was my amp, a Fender Mustang 4 v.2. I purchased a Peavey Delta Blues 115 this week and my guitars are not making the noise on it... but I can't seem to bond with the DB amp as it seems very harsh, shrill, and piercing. I can't seem to get a good tone with the DB amp. The only way I can tame the piercing harshness in the new amp is to turn my treble nearly all the way down on the amp and then it sounds muddy and lacks articulation. It lacks sustain and sounds "cheap" orshallow on the DB amp.

I had to run to the (City) today, so I loaded up my Fender Mustang IV amp and took it to a tech. The amp is fine and played without a hitch there!

I came home and played my guitars on the amp with all foot buttons and pedals removed and the sh_t sound is still there. Tried a new Monster cable... still crap. It sounds as if multiple notes are playing on each fret. This only happens with gain/distortion. When playing clean, there are no issues.

I sat down with my guitars today determined to get to the bottom of this and it seems like when I do slides and hammer ons, all my other strings are vibrating ever so slightly, ruining the tone/sound of the note I slide or hammer into.

I never experienced this issue before. I have moved my amp to other rooms in the house and still have these wolf tones.

Anybody out there ever experience this before? I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. Nothing has changed in my "studio" and the only change to my house is we had a metal roof installed about a month ago... but I doubt that would affect my signal.

I welcome any help I can get.

Thanks... RJ

Hmmm, is the new metal roof grounded? I guess it would be in case of lightning?

I think you can discount the issue of other strings vibrating etc as over thinking it because it's happening on all your guitars. I just wonder, that roof must be related if the change coincided and the guitars and amps sound fine elsewhere. It is just feasible that a ground loop or radio interference in your ground coming from the roof or something of that ilk accentuates harmonic feedback...

Actually, they don't ground metal roofs on houses. At least that is what the installers told me. Should it be grounded?

Don't know in particular about metal roofs, but most buildings here have no lightning rods. Insurance charges are the same if there is one or not, so it seems to make no significant difference in their statistics.

Thought about the problem you described, but at the moment I neither have a helpful idea nor a continuative question. [confused]

I'll ask a question. Is there anything else on, in the room, at the time this warbling

occurs? I ask this, because I had a very similar situation, with my Vox AC-30, in my

living room. I took it in, to my really great Amp tech, he tested it, in various modes

rooms, and with different instruments, and couldn't get it to do anything, except sound

"Great!"(His words)

After that, I took it, and my guitar into another room, and it would stop making that noise.

Found out, after some trial and error, that my Blue Ray DVD player, when on, was causing it.

Something about disruptive frequencies, etc. I'm (obviously) no electrical engineer, so I have

no real idea, just WHAT those frequencies were/are, and WHY they do what they do.

All I know, is if the DVD player is off, the Vox sounds Great! LOL

CB

I'll ask a question. Is there anything else on, in the room, at the time this warbling

occurs? I ask this, because I had a very similar situation, with my Vox AC-30, in my

living room. I took it in, to my really great Amp tech, he tested it, in various modes

rooms, and with different instruments, and couldn't get it to do anything, except sound

"Great!"(His words)

After that, I took it, and my guitar into another room, and it would stop making that noise.

Found out, after some trial and error, that my Blue Ray DVD player, when on, was causing it.

Something about disruptive frequencies, etc. I'm (obviously) no electrical engineer, so I have

no real idea, just WHAT those frequencies were/are, and WHY they do what they do.

All I know, is if the DVD player is off, the Vox sounds Great! LOL

CB

So you would have to change your setup in case you want to practice along with instructions from DVD?

So you would have to change your setup in case you want to practice along with instructions from DVD?

Or, just use a different DVD player, or amp? I went back to my old Fender "Sidekick 35 Reverb," for most

of my playing here, in the house. I have no such problem(s) with it, and never have. I don't know if "tube"

amps are more prone, if the Vox problem was just temporary, or what? My HR Deluxe, Twin Reverb,

and Blues Jr. have never done that! So..??? The AC-30 has performed well, and sounded awesome, during

various gigs, in several different venues, with all kinds of other electrical things "on!"

So...Who Knows?! :-k](*,)

CB

Yup... three prong outlets throughout the house. Dunno about the meter as it is 100 yards from the house on a telephone pole at the end of the driveway. I live 6 miles out of town and that is where meters are put. I will look tomorrow to see if it looks different.

We had friends and my dad and his wife here all day. That, coupled with the fact that we had lightning and an occasional light shower contributed to me not being able to try playing outside.

I did lower the pups on the SD guitar a little last week. I have the original 57 pups that came in it and am having the tech put them back in. At least with lower output pups it is more tolerable.

I will keep looking for the issue and will post if I discover a solution.

I thank all of you folks for your input and welcome any and all ideas. This is "Twilight Zone" stuff! :-)

Guest Farnsbarns

Nope. No ceiling fans in that room. The furnace and A/C are in the next room over though. They never bothered it before though.

But now you have a metal roof holding all that rf in. That's why I asked if it's grounded. Try grounding the roof.

I've got a metal roof on my house and it has caused no problems with anything. I was afraid it might affect my already poor cell phone service, but I don't think it's any worse.

I can't wait to here the solution to this problem.

one thought to help eliminate issues.......

take your complete set up and try it somewhere else.......if the problem is gone, you know it is "environmental" in the house.

at that point, try set up in a different room......if gone, its a problem in your room, if still there its a "house" problem.

process of elimination.

NHTom

Guest Farnsbarns

one thought to help eliminate issues.......

take your complete set up and try it somewhere else.......if the problem is gone, you know it is "environmental" in the house.

at that point, try set up in a different room......if gone, its a problem in your room, if still there its a "house" problem.

process of elimination.

NHTom

Excellent suggestion.

Can't hurt but the amp has already been tested elsewhere, so has one of the guitars, and all the guitars are effected. I don't think there's much doubt this is an environmental issue.

Just a bit of an update.

No solutions yet. I bad the 57 pups put back in my 2013 Trad... and realize now that I like them better. More vintage tone.

I haven't had the chance to move things outside yet as I bad a surgery this week and lifting heavy objects is discouraged. The amp weighs 56 lbs, so I will wait a few more days to carry it up the stars.

I have noticed while playing through my all tube amp (delta blues) that these wolf tones are present. I cranked up the gain a bit on the DB and can now bear the poop tones on it too.

Thanks for all the input so far. I will keep you posted as things develop.

Just a bit of an update.

No solutions yet. I bad the 57 pups put back in my 2013 Trad... and realize now that I like them better. More vintage tone.

I haven't had the chance to move things outside yet as I bad a surgery this week and lifting heavy objects is discouraged. The amp weighs 56 lbs, so I will wait a few more days to carry it up the stars.

I have noticed while playing through my all tube amp (delta blues) that these wolf tones are present. I cranked up the gain a bit on the DB and can now bear the poop tones on it too.

Thanks for all the input so far. I will keep you posted as things develop.

My best wishes for your recovery, mate.

As for carrying 56 lbs upstairs, awaiting a few weeks may be better than a few days. I am suffering from a bad incisional hernia from moving too soon after a surgery and will have to be operated again.

You'd be surprised at what in a room can cause this... The metal roof could possibly be the issue, but I suggest you simply look around the room first and see what could be rattling/vibrating that might somehow be being picked-up by the guitar pickups or amp.

I had an issue in my music room of the metal shelving unit I purchased to place my amps on actually vibrating harmonically and causing a ringing in the room. The shelves were made out of tubular metal rods and they were of a certain metal hardness that allowed them to simply resonate and vibrate causing an added ring/vibration that was causing feedback & distortion thru either the tube amps themselves or the guitar pickups and creating audio havoc in my music room... I think it was also causing a loud audible resonate ring that was not enhanced electrically but was loud enough for me to think it was. It was a nightmare and when something finally vibrated off the shelf and fell to the ground did I get a clue and was able to figure out what was going on...

My solution was to place a shelf board across the metal shelf surface which muted the many vibrating rods surface's natural resonance and penchant to begin to ring with the vibration of the guitar output and the problem was cured...

I'd search the room outside the guitar and amp to find the source... It could even be something as simple as a vibrating window frame or other metal material resonating in the room near amp or guitar...

One thing I haven't checked yet is the Tonelocks... I put them on my Les Pauls and do notice a lot more body vibration in the guitars. It wouldn't explain it not happening elsewhere, but I plan to replace the TLs on my most affected guitar and see if it makes a difference.

Archived