Gibson Brands Forums

neil young's letter home

blindboygrunt

Am listening to neil young's latest release. A letter home was recorded in jack whites recording booth .

Sounds like an old 78

Am liking it a lot . I am a huge neil young fan though.

Anyone else got their ears round it yet ?

Just wondered what you all thought. It's gonna split opinions for sure.

I'm out. Loved him for about 20-odd years now but haven't been able to enjoy any album since maybe silver and gold.

He's obsessed with perfect sound then releases an album that sounds like its been recorded in a tin with rats crawlin' over it. But of course....that's neil!

Think I'll go and strum some songs from harvest instead👍

I think its an interesting concept - and is the epitome of "raw". One microphone, and a bunch of covers reorder directly to vinyl, apparently very reto, very crackly. I'm looking forward to hearing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5433ZDjFE8

01 A Letter Home intro

02 Changes (Phil Ochs Cover)

03 Girl From the North Country (Bob Dylan Cover)

04 Needle of Death (Bert Jansch Cover)

05 Early Morning Rain (Gordon Lightfoot Cover)

06 Crazy (Willie Nelson Cover)

07 Reason to Believe (Tim Hardin Cover)

08 On the Road Again (Willie Nelson Cover)

09 If You Could Read My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot Cover)

10 Since I Met You Baby (Ivory Joe Hunter Cover)

11 My Hometown (Bruce Springsteen Cover)

12 I Wonder If I Care as Much (Don Everly Cover)

I really like the album, so much so that I bought the vinyl box set. I have to say though that the audiophile version that was run straight to tape just sounds so much better and really would have probably changed a lot of people's minds about this one. It sounds like you're just hanging out with neil and he's playing you his favorite songs right in front of your face in the living room. For a huge Neil Young fan it really is a blessing of an album.

This album is reminiscent of the way the old Vanguard and Folkway records were recorded in the 1960's. Kind of the sound and feel that it was recorded in someone's kitchen. Also reminds me of those Woody Guthrie albums about the "Dust Bowl." Raw, primitive, kind of grating on the nerves for some folks, and Neil can sound like fingernails on a chalkboard at times. Depending on who is singing, that can be good and bad. A good album if one is a major Neil Young fan. Young has always been different and this is one of his ways to continue being that...and no matter how different he is, he is real. I'm not knocking Young. Not his biggest fan, but some of his music is awesome in my view. His version of Ian Tyson's "Four Strong Winds" is awesome, along with "Old Man" and "Heart of Gold," and his songwriting is at the top. I think Neil is being "Neil." He's knows how to stay relevant.

I really like the album, so much so that I bought the vinyl box set. I have to say though that the audiophile version that was run straight to tape just sounds so much better and really would have probably changed a lot of people's minds about this one. It sounds like you're just hanging out with neil and he's playing you his favorite songs right in front of your face in the living room. For a huge Neil Young fan it really is a blessing of an album.

Could you please explain in a little more detail how the audiophile vinyl LP version differs from the regular vinyl LP. I have ordered the regular LP and enjoy it a lot. I also have the CD on order (basically for convenience of ripping to FLAC), but having this album on CD kind of defeats the idea...

Lars

The audiophile version is just a mono track that was run straight from the microphone in the booth onto tape. Also I think there was a little more engineering involved. Everything is crystal clear and the tone is even without the distortions of the recording booth process. The DVD is of Neil and Jack White recording the album.

I'm passing on it. Saw the Tonight show stunt with Jack White and it put me off of it. Gimmick is the right word.

Ditto. As much as I respect Neil he really needs to stick to his own stuff and stay away from most covers. He's not a good singer, and he really should have tuned up whatever it was he was playing on the Tonight Show. I thought his cover of Willie's song was embarrassingly bad.

I like it. Neil's never been afraid of gimmicks if it gets him moving. Used to be "honey slides" and now it's this goofy recording booth. I watched the videos of him in the recording booth (iTunes lets you sample 30 seconds of each video) and liked it enough to buy it both for listening and viewing pleasure.

But my favorite Neil albums are On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, Hawks and Doves and After the Goldrush..arbitrary but why not?

But my favorite Neil albums are On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, Hawks and Doves and After the Goldrush..arbitrary but why not?

Quite interesting to see Hawks and Doves in there. No Comes a Time, no Zuma, no Time Fades Away, non of the 2 first. . .

Ooh ha

I like it a lot!

I knew my lo-fi stuff was on the right track!

It must get hot and claustrophobic in that phone booth, and the guitar only seems to fit sideways.

BluesKing777.

Ah !!

That's why he has the capo on ...so the guitar fits in the booth!

A simple recording, just voice and guitar, of some interesting covers is a great idea. But there is simply no good reason not to sit down in front of a good mic or two and record to digital, or a quality 2-track machine. This is just dumb. Springsteen recorded Nebraska on a 4-track cassette machine and it sounded better. I don't know what NY is trying to do here.

P

Archived