Gibson Brands Forums

neil young's letter home

blindboygrunt

I'm not a huge Neil Young fan but I get what He and Jack White are doing. They're respecting and paying reverence to old technology. John Mellencamp did that a few years back on a record produced by T-Bone Burnett. The whole band recorded onto one vintage mic to an old Ampex reel to reel. It's brilliant. However it won't appeal to those accustomed to modern production or overproduced music.

I'm not a huge Neil Young fan but I get what He and Jack White are doing. They're respecting and paying reverence to old technology. John Mellencamp did that a few years back on a record produced by T-Bone Burnett. The whole band recorded onto one vintage mic to an old Ampex reel to reel. It's brilliant. However it won't appeal to those accustomed to modern production or overproduced music.

[/quoted]

Yeah Shelby Lynn did a similar thing a few years ago with an album recorded on vintage tape machines through a vintage board...even used old tube mics from the 50s. Sounds gorgeous. Doesn't have the pristine clean of moder digital, but it is lush and intimate and pretty wonderful. The Neil thing? It's not that. It's noisy. Or maybe I'm just not in that lo fi camp. I wish Robert Johnson's recordings were as clean and revealing as "Muddy Waters, Folk Singer." I'd take that all day.

P

[/quoted]

It's noisy. Or maybe I'm just not in that lo fi camp. I wish Robert Johnson's recordings were as clean and revealing as "Muddy Waters, Folk Singer." I'd take that all day.

P

Hey, hey. Love Lo-Fi!

When I first learned acoustic blues, I had Charlie Patton's scratchy recording on my equally scratchy record player...RJ's sounded clear as a bell after that!

Charlie sounds better on this clip - must be the mids on Youtube or perhaps remastered a bit. Recently I bought the Tom Feldman - Charlie Patton lessons from Stefan Grossman Workshop and I was a bit shocked at how Tom caught the guitar playing from those scratchy records - well, I thought they were scratches and hiss with a bit of guitar way, way in the back somewhere....

BluesKing777.

Hey, hey. Love Lo-Fi!

When I first learned acoustic blues, I had Charlie Patton's scratchy recording on my equally scratchy record player...RJ's sounded clear as a bell after that!

Charlie sounds better on this clip - must be the mids on Youtube or perhaps remastered a bit. Recently I bought the Tom Feldman - Charlie Patton lessons from Stefan Grossman Workshop and I was a bit shocked at how Tom caught the guitar playing from those scratchy records - well, I thought they were scratches and hiss with a bit of guitar way, way in the back somewhere....

BluesKing777.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't keep me from appreciating the music. I'll take Charlie Parker's pre hifi recordings over the most perfect Kenny g album. Pretty much goes without saying. But this thing Neil and Jack white did just looks like a gimmick, and an unpleasant one at that.

P

Archived