Gibson Brands Forums

I love my Toby IV Deluxe but no spechs for set it up...

AndyFraser65

Dears,

As stated on topic title, this bass is awesome, i payed 175€ brand new, i think is a ridicolous price for such instrument !

My favorite genre ranges from blues to `60/`70s rock-blues , use fingers and pick and I like the sounds warm and full-bodied, I put a set of D` Addario EXL 165 strings but their metallic sound I do not like at all, I prefer original Epiphone strings ...

I need some advice, i want it set at its best, Epiphone manual is very poor, i am following with this guidelines:

http://www.fender.com/it-IT/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/

I believe that these guidelines are very correct, but since I play mostly guitar, I would like to know about your experience ...

i reply to myself: Fender guide is very detailed, works well as a starting point, i've set my Toby so: 0.30mm of neck relief, 1.5mm action at 12° fret for the G string, 2.00mm for the low E string, pick-ups height "by ear" and that's it...

I hope i've been of help to someone who love to setup his bass ;-)

Hello Andy,

your settings seem reasonable to me, and Fender indeed provides VERY nice user guides, far better ones than any other manufacturer in my opinion.

By the way, I sing and play mostly guitar, too, but also bass guitar, and into the bargain drums, in three different bands though.

Hi capmaster,

Thank you very much for your reply, i will confess that, beyond the guides and excellent Fender products, rarely i happened to buy some instruments so cheap but so high in quality as well as my two Epiphone basses...

In particular my Toby Deluxe IV is an excellent bass for the price, and therefore, Epiphone can be forgiven for such manuals so scarce in information...: Epi is a great brand ...;-) and i'm an happy custormer that enjoys like a mad to play the blues with these instruments...

That's what counts!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that most round wound bass stings are going to sound metallic until they deaden a bit. You probably like the sound of the Epiphone strings because they are usually dead by the time they reach the end user. My advice is to buy a set of good string and play them until they deaden to your liking. At that point, dont change them until they start to corrode. You can prolong the life of your bass stings by wiping them off after every time you play with some WD-40 or other water displacing oil. This will keep them flexible so that they feel right, but wont put that metaillic sound back in to them. Using this method, I only change my bass strings every few years.

As far as adjustments, its really a matter of preference. Some people like their action high, and some very low. I like to adjust it down until it buzzes and then bring it back up a little just until the buzz goes away or isnt audible through the amp. Factory settings are very general.

Hi RTH,

thank you for your advice, i`ve not much time to spend playing with my bass (...sigh !)but i`ll do my best to follow your tip;

factory settings are not so general, in my personal opinion, especially true for Fender instruments, for sure, are not good for every player, that`s a fact...

Archived