Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Plate Mounting Hole Poll

duluthdan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the warranty in place, the only people rolling the dice are people who buy second-hand. Hmmn...

You can save enough buying second hand to have the bridge plate, and the bridge replaced. Easily. Buy right and you can get the neck re-set, too. Seriously, good economy or bad, the best deals are very lightly used. "Like new," they like to call it. I bought and sold a half a dozen, easily, that fit that description on the way to my OJ. The whole journey took a few years, and with shipping and insurance, only cost me a few hundred bucks, because I was always able to get my money back out of them.

What did I get for my time and money? I got the experience, irreplaceable in a store, of living with and experiencing a bunch of guitars -- a couple of Taylors, a couple of Larrivees, a Ted Thompson, a Greven (that one was only for a couple of weeks, a loaner from John), a Lowden...and in the end I found the one. And I mean THE. ONE. Is it the best guitar I've ever owned? Objectively speaking, in terms of volume, sustain, touch-responsiveness, tonal complexity, etc, no. That was the Lowden. But in my hands, for what I do, the OJ is perfect. Not sure I could have gotten there just walking into a shop playing a bunch of guitars and picking a favorite. I know I couldn't have known that while it was amazing, the Lowden was not a good fit for me without living with it. Besides, picking one out of the store wouldn't have been a fraction of the joy ride.

P

You can save enough buying second hand to have the bridge plate, and the bridge replaced. Easily. Buy right and you can get the neck re-set, too. Seriously, good economy or bad, the best deals are very lightly used. "Like new," they like to call it. I bought and sold a half a dozen, easily, that fit that description on the way to my OJ. The whole journey took a few years, and with shipping and insurance, only cost me a few hundred bucks, because I was always able to get my money back out of them.

What did I get for my time and money? I got the experience, irreplaceable in a store, of living with and experiencing a bunch of guitars -- a couple of Taylors, a couple of Larrivees, a Ted Thompson, a Greven (that one was only for a couple of weeks, a loaner from John), a Lowden...and in the end I found the one. And I mean THE. ONE. Is it the best guitar I've ever owned? Objectively speaking, in terms of volume, sustain, touch-responsiveness, tonal complexity, etc, no. That was the Lowden. But in my hands, for what I do, the OJ is perfect. Not sure I could have gotten there just walking into a shop playing a bunch of guitars and picking a favorite. I know I couldn't have known that while it was amazing, the Lowden was not a good fit for me without living with it. Besides, picking one out of the store wouldn't have been a fraction of the joy ride.

P

I agree with Ponk…invaluable to have the guitar long term to really know it properties…I kind of do the same…and it's a fun hobby

• 2 years later...

A zombie thread, lasted posted to in 2014 until today. I have never looked inside my two Gibsons regarding this issue. I didn't wade completely through all of the posts but could someone who knows summarize what the final upshot about this issue was?

MP, see post #74.

Thanks Dan. Now I can go shovel more snow with an unworried mind! One more question which is kind of unrelated but all the pictures here make it easy to reference. The picture in post #102 shows a little bent tab wire routing thingy that has some kind of contact adhesive. Does anyone know what they are called and a source for those? I had some rather expensive work done by a shop in Boulder and they should have used those things instead of leaving wires and connectors thrashing around inside the guitar....but they didn't so I need to find some of those and finish the job myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan. Now I can go shovel more snow with an unworried mind! One more question which is kind of unrelated but all the pictures here make it easy to reference. The picture in post #102 shows a little bent tab wire routing thingy that has some kind of contact adhesive. Does anyone know what they are called and a source for those? I had some rather expensive work done by a shop in Boulder and they should have used those things instead of leaving wires and connectors thrashing around inside the guitar....but they didn't so I need to find some of those and finish the job myself. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Battery_Clips_and_Holders/Self-stick_Wiring_Clips_for_Acoustic_Pickups_6_Pack.html

• 4 years later...

Resurrection of thread, because I discovered this while thinking I was going to install a k&k…. Pretty bad spot for a hole for that middle sensor.  So now to decide if I wanna just stick with the element or go for an M1A or maybe Trance or Dazzo. Guitar is a 2014 J45 Standard Red Spruce VOS say that three times fast.

F0AA6F9D-E680-43CE-BCE7-A3F544610706.jpeg

On 9/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, duluthdan said:

Rosinante:  Trance, all day long. 

Yep.  Decided to budget that out today.  Gonna send it off to Maurys Music for install, once I make sure that there is enough room for the bridge plate and that the mounting hole isn’t going to interfere with the install.

• 4 weeks later...