Gibson Brands Forums

'61 Reissue Sticker Mystery?

jimmiJAMM

Was just in Guitar Center in NYC and they had two '61 Reissues, one new model had the MOP inlayed logo/flower and the other used model had logo/flower stickers on the headstock. Other than that they looked exactly the same. When I pointed this out, the clerk said, "Yeah, Gibson does weird stuff like that." What's up with that?

Also the pick guard wasn't evenly spaced around the pickup housings on either. The black screws looked cheap next to the silver ones and none seemed evenly screwed in. I realize these are cosmetic differences but I'm a designer and aesthetics definitely count for something. It just didn't look nearly as elegant (or flawless) as my '07 Standard. The overall quality of these instruments seemed a tad lacking.

People sometimes say you're paying for the name but that's because In Gibson we Trust. Let's hope they continue to earn it.

Was just in Guitar Center in NYC and they had two '61 Reissues' date=' one new model had the MOP inlayed logo/flower and the other used model had logo/flower stickers on the headstock. Other than that they looked exactly the same. When I pointed this out, the clerk said, "Yeah, Gibson does weird stuff like that." What's up with that?

Also the pick guard wasn't evenly spaced around the pickup housings on either. The black screws looked cheap next to the silver ones. I realize these are cosmetic differences but I'm a designer and aesthetics definitely count for something. It just didn't look nearly as elegant as my '07 Standard. The neck was a bit thinner but I think the quality seemed a tad lacking. People sometimes say you're paying for the name but that's because In Gibson we Trust. Let's hope they continue to earn it.[/quote']

By "stickers", do you mean water slide decals or silk screen? Were they on the surface, or under the clear coat?

Ok, I'm no expert. Perhaps shrinkage around the edge but when you're paying well over a grand for a guitar that really shouldn't be happening before it leaves the store. Also why was one in that condition (peeling/shrinkage) while the other exact same model had the inlays? Oh well, it struck me as odd.

Ok' date=' I'm no expert. Perhaps shrinkage around the edge but when you're paying well over a grand for a guitar that really shouldn't be happening before it leaves the store. [/quote']

That's Gibson's "QUALITY CONTROL" and "PROUD CRAFTSMANSHIP" for you. I guess we're expected to lower our expectations? I've seen plenty of new guitars with finish shrinkage like that (only took about a year for my babied Historic to do that...I wasn't amused). Best thing to do is write Gibson and complain. Enough complaints and MAYBE something would be done about it. Eventually.

H-Bomb

i too have noticed a small shrinkage/imperfection with the headstock of my 61

you cant tell unless you look real hard at the top (left when looking directly) edge, very small, (just noticed this in the past few weeks or so, ive had the guitar for 3-4 years now)

but the crown and gibby logo deffinately arent stickers, i couldnt peal them off thats for damn sure

Ok' date=' I'm no expert. Perhaps shrinkage around the edge but when you're paying well over a grand for a guitar that really shouldn't be happening before it leaves the store. Also why was one in that condition (peeling/shrinkage) while the other exact same model had the inlays? Oh well, it struck me as odd.[/quote']

It might be a few years old but in good condition.

you will always see a little lip on the edge of the logo if it's the decal style. it's 3D and impossible to avoid if you spary lacquer over it. now, if it was outside of the finsh and really could have been peeled off, then that's odd.

i'm guessing it wasn't really a '61 RI. perhaps either a fake, or some other model. did it have the right fretboard inlays? neck binding?

it wouldn't be the first time a GC employee said something completely wrong and just gave a dumb "oh yeah, they do that sometimes" type of answer to explain something he was ignorant about.

you will always see a little lip on the edge of the logo if it's the decal style. it's 3D and impossible to avoid if you spary lacquer over it. now' date=' if it was outside of the finsh and really could have been peeled off, then that's odd.

i'm guessing it wasn't really a '61 RI. perhaps either a fake, or some other model. did it have the right fretboard inlays? neck binding?[/quote']

Well, It's not like I tried to peel it off in front of the salesman. That wouldn't have gone over well. I could feel the lip of the decals so I'm guessing they were probably under the lacquer but definitely had a slight edge to 'em. The rest of the guitar was authentic, far as I could see. It wasn't fake. I was just glad to see on the newer model they were inlayed the right way.

you will always see a little lip on the edge of the logo if it's the decal style. it's 3D and impossible to avoid if you spary lacquer over it. now' date=' if it was outside of the finsh and really could have been peeled off, then that's odd.

i'm guessing it wasn't really a '61 RI. perhaps either a fake, or some other model. did it have the right fretboard inlays? neck binding?

it wouldn't be the first time a GC employee said something completely wrong and just gave a dumb "oh yeah, they do that sometimes" type of answer to explain something he was ignorant about.[/quote']

You shouldn't see or feel a raised lip at all as the lacquer is sanded flat, however if there is a slight gap between the inlay and the edge of the hole cut for it over time the lacquer will sink into it, so you will see and feel a slight depression.

I don't know' date=' was it brown? Like a satin walnut GOTW 61?

Like this?

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/tattooedcarrot/Gear/Past%20Gear/Guitars/IMG_7607.jpg[/img]

All I know is I've owned a LOT of gear, and a LOT of Gibsons and of the several 61's I've owned (the above pic included) they have been some of the best guitars I've owned.

Gorgeous finish and gorgeous headstock. Gorgeous guitar.

I came across an angus young sig at a local store (that is not a gibson dealer but has some good stuff... like a 1st run robot at 2000...) and it looked awful... I have always liked that guitar but seeing one in person was a major letdown... (maybe they just have a "bad" one? some friends say they get gibsons through GC/MF scratch n dent/blem sales... and that would explain why they are selling a first run robot at less than a 2007 standard).

I played that angus young sig and I was not impressed... I played a USA standard SG at another store and it was way better... but, then again the store where I played the USA SG standard IS the local gibson authorized dealer.

Archived