Gibson Brands Forums

Srange Question Regarding Strap Buttons

Greg1967

Being somewhat persnickety here. But I'm noticing some wear around the strap buttons from my guitar strap. Thinking about getting some washers to apply between them and the face of the guitar. I don't want to use rubber and obviously not metal. McMaster Carr has nylon, felt, hard fiber (plant based fiber) and leather. Although I don't believe the ID and OD of the leather one will work. and the hard fiber is supposed to absorb moister per McMasters description. Either of the others sound relatively safe for the finish? It is a SG Special with the Heritage Cherry Vintage gloss finish.

Thanks for any advice.

Being somewhat persnickety here. But I'm noticing some wear around the strap buttons from my guitar strap. Thinking about getting some washers to apply between them and the face of the guitar. I don't want to use rubber and obviously not metal. McMaster Carr has nylon, felt, hard fiber (plant based fiber) and leather. Although I don't believe the ID and OD of the leather one will work. and the hard fiber is supposed to absorb moister per McMasters description. Either of the others sound relatively safe for the finish? It is a SG Special with the Heritage Cherry Vintage gloss finish.

Thanks for any advice.

The vintage gloss finishes are slightly flat in appearance if I'm not mistaken. That kind of finish will get shiny marks when it is rubbed, like where the strap touches the body. Not that big an issue in my opinion. It probably doesn't matter what you do, you're still going to get some areas that don't look like when you got it new. I have a feeling those types of finishes aren't quite as durable as the high gloss finishes.

The vintage gloss finishes are slightly flat in appearance if I'm not mistaken. That kind of finish will get shiny marks when it is rubbed, like where the strap touches the body. Not that big an issue in my opinion. It probably doesn't matter what you do, you're still going to get some areas that don't look like when you got it new. I have a feeling those types of finishes aren't quite as durable as the high gloss finishes.

In contrary, high gloss finishes tend to getting dull. To my experiences and observations, finish wear also strongly depends on the strap's materials and make. The Levy's all-suede straps I use don't do anything to the finishes of my guitars. However, except for one, they are attached to the guitars permanently, so there's no wear from putting them on or pulling them off. Some of my axes and straps are equipped with Schaller strap locks, partly stock, partly retrofitted.

My Explorer doesn't allow for leaving the strap on in the case, so I use strap locks on her for minimizing wear this way.

Yeah. I am being way to over protective at this point. I don't play professionally and typically don't play with other musicians. (I need to get out more)I am looking at a well used 2003 Ebony Standard at the local guitar shop. I need something that is broke in that I don't have to worry about.

And yes. The vintage gloss are slightly flat in the finish. The Special don't have a pick guard and there is a bit of shine my hand being there where the pick guard usually is.

Yeah. I am being way to over protective at this point. I don't play professionally and typically don't play with other musicians. (I need to get out more)I am looking at a well used 2003 Ebony Standard at the local guitar shop. I need something that is broke in that I don't have to worry about.

And yes. The vintage gloss are slightly flat in the finish. The Special don't have a pick guard and there is a bit of shine my hand being there where the pick guard usually is.

post-65481-022658300%201401805543_thumb.jpg

Nice axe! [thumbup] I think the "mustard coloured" plastics nicely match the finish. Funny how they inverted the usual make of SG toggle switches. Perhaps they don't make butterscotch switch tips?

I would treat the plastics cautiously. They probably won't offer them as spare parts.

[thumbup]

I use strap looks and still a little wear, but in my opinion its beautiful. any natural wear is normal.

That's my point, too. There is going to be a little wear no matter what you do unless you never play it. To me now, a little wear is part of guitar ownership.

Id go to hardware store,or big bx store and get some "felt" sheets,,with adhesive back,,cut circles out same size as needed,,mount on strap,,creating a soft barrier between strap+ gtr,,it might work. .

Archived