Gibson Brands Forums

Probuckers in Epiphone Dot

mark60

Hi all, New guy here.

I have a 2011 Dot with the factory pickups. Love everything about the guitar. Recently was given a damaged LP standard Pro with the Coil splitting Probuckers. After reading alot about how great the Probuckers have been received wondering if swapping them into the Dot is worth the time, or is it not really an upgrade? I understand that the Probuckers have Alnico 2 mags and the current factory pickups I have are Alnico 5's

I am aware that the 335 Pro was released several years ago, and that the pickups listed for that guitar were Alnico Classic Pro's (which I assume are different from the Probuckers)

For the record, yes, I have done pickup swaps in hollowbodies myself. I also am not going to be utilizing the coil split feature at this time and will be wiring them up as two wire pickups.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Mark

I used to have an Epi LP and an Epi 339 both with ProBuckers. They are awesome pups, but ... in non-scientific comparisons at separate times with different amps ( :) ), I preferred the Alnico Classic Pros for the 339.

but ... in non-scientific comparisons at separate times with different amps ( :) ), \

Welcome to the forum, Mark!!!

As someone that is just spouting off an opinion, I would say that Bob is spot on.

90% is your amp/guitar combination, your taste and about a million other things that we could talk about....over a beer, of course.

Try and then you will know!

If, after that you want some sound opinions...(pun intended)...Put up a couple of clips of your Epi Dot.

A couple of blind tests could be interesting. Besides, it's not that hard to do:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21424628/Welcome2.mp3

(Hit Play)

Keep us informed with updates and personal opinions.....sounds interesting,

Willy

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what pickups are in Dot Pro, but I assume they might be Alnico Classic Pro. There is an easy way to determine it, just take the pickup out of the guitar and find a sticker on the baseplate. If the sticker says something line ACP... it's Alnico Classic Pro, PB2... is ProBucker-2, PB3... is Probucker-3. All these pickups have Alnico 2 magnets, Probuckers are wound a little hotter (higher DC resistance). Older non-coil-split humbuckers are Alnico Classic (non-Pro!!!) and their stickers say something like HB6... and HotHB8....

Whether changing pickups from Alnico Classic Pro to Probuckers is an upgrade or not, it's a matter of taste. I think you need to check it yourself :)

Hi all, New guy here.

I have a 2011 Dot with the factory pickups. Love everything about the guitar. Recently was given a damaged LP standard Pro with the Coil splitting Probuckers. After reading alot about how great the Probuckers have been received wondering if swapping them into the Dot is worth the time, or is it not really an upgrade? I understand that the Probuckers have Alnico 2 mags and the current factory pickups I have are Alnico 5's

I am aware that the 335 Pro was released several years ago, and that the pickups listed for that guitar were Alnico Classic Pro's (which I assume are different from the Probuckers)

For the record, yes, I have done pickup swaps in hollowbodies myself. I also am not going to be utilizing the coil split feature at this time and will be wiring them up as two wire pickups.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Mark

No one answered the question. Yes Probuckers are an upgrade.

I bought a set to put into my Epiphone Lucille.

As you said putting in a Dot minus split coil:

The wiring is the same as Gibson's.

The Large Black is the ground and twist the Small Black to that.

The Red is the hot.

The Green and White solder together and leave to the side for non split coil. If you don't you are not going to have the whole PU in HB mode.

Unlike others here I like the Probuckers but do not like the Alnico Classic Pro.

Unlike others here I like the Probuckers but do not like the Alnico Classic Pro.

Truly speaking, I liked Alnico Classic Pro I got with Epi Explorer, but I wanted this guitar play heavier, hence the pickup swap.

Archived