Gibson Brands Forums

Identify this SG?

es336td

DAB65SG1.jpeg

http://www.ludietunes.com/Stolen/DABSG.html

A friend of mine bought this back in 67 or so used. I played it and loved it from the start. It was a magical instrument. In 69, someone walked into his house, picked up the case from beside his bed, and walked out with it. It was never seen again until I found it a few years ago on eBay. However, none of the case records were found and it slipped through my hands. I have seen many 65 SGs that look like this, but have never seen the plastic circles under the bridge posts. Any idea as to what year this is?

I have seen those washers under the bridge before on this model. The black "washers" under the bridge may actually have been installed stock by Gibson in 1966. Gibson employed these "decorative washers" on some guitars when it was discovered during initial setup that correct string intonation may not be achievable. If the ABR-1 Bridge posts needed to be relocated, Gibson would plug the holes with a dowel, redrill for the new location, and slap on the black washer to hide the "mistake".

FWIW - I have seen a few '67 ES-335's and '67 Flying V's with these "black washers" under the bridge.

Nice guitar BTW.

TO address this particular issue, Gibson changed to the (short lived) larger TOM bridge with additional bridge saddle travel in the early 70's(see pic below)

frank_Bart2.jpg

I read in a book the other day that the SG Zappa is pictured with above was actually a custom made guitar with coil taps and an onboard pre-amp. He had his friend make it so it would have the gibson headstock but be made exactly like he wanted it. I wish I could get my hands on any of these SGs.

My, "The SG" does NOT have that rectangular bridge. It's a '79. My '72 Recording Les Paul didn't either, although I saw a Recording that was brand new that DID many, years, ago........

Ya gotta love Gibson. They do this sh!t just because Orville did too.......

He was insane.

That's why we love em'. Oh yea.....

And because they're real "toney".

Murph.

Archived