Gibson Brands Forums

What can you tell me about this Les Paul?

antonio_kill

I'm seriously considering checking out this used Les Paul. It is a Les Paul traditional selling at an incredible price. Thing that makes me weary is that it's ebony with satin/faded finish. The no lacquer style. I can't seem to find other Les Paul traditional's with the faded ebony finish or any Les Pauls for that matter. Serial # is 113220320. Legit?

post-4931-073893300 1401810965_thumb.jpg

Looks to be the "Mahogany Top" series, from a couple years ago.

They were reasonably priced (for a Gibson LP) back then, so the

used price might reflect that, as well? You didn't mention what

they're asking, so it's hard to judge. Standard Les Paul Traditionals

have Maple caps, like most carved top Les Paul's. This version,

has the Mahogany cap, instead. A bit "darker" sounding, as a result.

But, still a great guitar!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Mahogany-Satin.aspx

I had some (controlled) GAS, for the Faded Red="Cherry Satin" (SG color) color version.

[biggrin]

CB

ahh thats the one. Thanks a lot I did a lot of research and couldn't find much. That red is beautiful.

Yeah, it is! I resisted, and bought some SG's instead! But, I'd still like to have

a "Cherry Satin" Mahogany Tradtional, eventually. Probably have to find a "used, but

not abused" version. ??? [biggrin]

CB

The fretboard specification "layered rosewood" would also support 2012 as year of make. There's one without notice on my Custom Shop Alex Lifeson Les Paul, no problem so far.

For getting some of the vintage Les Paul Custom touch through the mahogany top, I was interested in them then, too. It is a bit different though since the vintage Custom would have an ebony fretboard, and the recent ones Richlite. I think the Mahogany Satins are nice guitars, but I think they also should have made some like these with a glossy finish. Finally, I went with a Standard 2012 then.

Archived