Gibson Brands Forums

Neck P90 replacement for chimey clear less middy tone?

hawkfanatic

I have a LP special Jr with P90's. I like the bridge, but the neck is too middy to really get the tone i want. I want a less middy tone that cleans up really nice and gets very clear and remains full without being tinny. Sorta like a great start neck pickup. I have tried everything as far as modding so don't bother mentioning treble bleed, different pot values, different or no tone cap, etc. I even pulled it apart and unwound 1k worth of windings. Helped a bit but not much. I haven't tried magnets because they are A5 which is about as bright as any.

So has anyone had the same dilemma and found a pickup that did what i want? I'd really prefer not to pay boutique prices, not because it's not worth it to me but when it doesn't work out you lose big. But i'll hear any recommendation even tho i'm really not likely to pay boutique prices unless i hear a lot of great things from several people about a given model. Thanks.

Send Wolfe Macleod at Wolfetone Pickups an email. He makes P90's with alnico rod magnets (like a Strat or Tele) instead of a bar magnet and screws. They're the same P90's that Johan Gustavsson (a Very high-end luthier) puts in the guitars he builds. $100 USD. A little more than your average Duncan or DiMarzio, but less than most boutique winders.

I swear by his pickups. As do many others.

-Ryan

Send Wolfe Macleod at Wolfetone Pickups an email. He makes P90's with alnico rod magnets (like a Strat or Tele) instead of a bar magnet and screws. They're the same P90's that Johan Gustavsson (a Very high-end luthier) puts in the guitars he builds. $100 USD. A little more than your average Duncan or DiMarzio, but less than most boutique winders.

I swear by his pickups. As do many others.

-Ryan

Thanks, but i'm not sure i wanna move away from the P90 design, at least with the neck pup. I'll keep it in mind tho, thanks.

Thanks, but i'm not sure i wanna move away from the P90 design, at least with the neck pup. I'll keep it in mind tho, thanks.

It's still a P90, same bobbin, same coil structure, just different configuration of magnets. P90's by nature of their design are a very honky, midrangey pickup, so if you want something chimier or less middy, you've gotta move away from the traditional P90 formula a bit.

-Ryan

Hmmmm, I've never found P-90's to be "tinny," or even "Shrill," on the high end.

Fat, round, and articulate, Yes! You didn't mention amp, amp settings, or effects

you're using (if any)? You might try a Mini-Humbucker, in the Neck position, if

you don't care for the P-90, there. A lot of folks seem to love that combination.

Just a thought...

CB

Hmmmm, I've never found P-90's to be "tinny," or even "Shrill," on the high end.

Fat, round, and articulate, Yes! You didn't mention amp, amp settings, or effects

you're using (if any)? You might try a Mini-Humbucker, in the Neck position, if

you don't care for the P-90, there. A lot of folks seem to love that combination.

Just a thought...

CB

I think when the OP mentioned "tinny" or "shrill", he meant that he wanted a pickup that has less midrange than the P90 he has but Without getting tinny or shrill, which can be a byproduct of cutting mids from any tone; highs and lows get emphasized, particularly highs.

-Ryan

Well, coming from a time when all these wild varieties of pickup options, windings, magnet changes,

etc., were unheard of, we just adusted the amp, and/or tone control on our guitars!

Now, everyone changes pickups, wiring, caps, etc.! Often, chasing a tone they've heard,

and like/love, from OLD records, made with minimal equipment. [tongue] LOL [biggrin]

CB

Archived