Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pickup Ring Mounts

rwfelton

i see lots of mixed reviews on the old interweb about this. i ordered the cream plastics by gibson to go on my 2014 studio. are the pickup rings pliable enough to bend with the curve of the top of the guitar or should i go ahead and sand them down? even if they buckle and crack after 15 or 20 years from not forming what is another $5/ring? it is just plastic. some people say the soak them in hot water... some people say form them, some say just screw them down slowly... but who knows... ? you guys and gals that have tried it do... so help a brother out.

I'm far from a sage on the subject but I was thinking of different pu rings on my studio, when looking up the parts I noticed they came in flat or arched/curved, if yours are flat I believe you have the wrong ones.

Could be wrong here & if so I'm sure someone will jump & straighten us out.

But like you say, what's another 5 bucks.

Good luck to you sir.

I'm far from a sage on the subject but I was thinking of different pu rings on my studio, when looking up the parts I noticed they came in flat or arched/curved, if yours are flat I believe you have the wrong ones.

Could be wrong here & if so I'm sure someone will jump & straighten us out.

But like you say, what's another 5 bucks.

Good luck to you sir.

from what i have found gibson only makes flat rings. there are multiple aftermarket rings out there though... it doesn't look hard to form them. i have tons of transfer tape to mask with since i do vinyl graphics and such. all i need is the adhesive sandpaper. but i hear lots of people say that even the ones that we got on our LPs are flat. they just bend well enough to form around the body... seems like i may be answering my own questions... haha

Archived