Gibson Brands Forums

string buzz and action

Richie123

hi guys i use to use 12s on my epi ej160e but then desided to go to 11s anyway the othet day i thought id bring my action down slightly but now that i have it feel great no fret rattle or buzzing apart from round about the 14th fret near the sound hole on my top E string im getting a buz everywere else is fine

im wondering if i go back to 12s will that go .or should i get a new saddle and just carefuly do the action maybe i sanded down a little to far i know that usually changing gauge meens a trust rod ajustment but going from 12 to 11 now back to 12s isnt a big deal i wouldnt have thought. i could see a problem if i was going from 10s to 12s what im tbinking is if i go back to 12s the top E 12 will cover the buzz being a 12 and not an 11 would you say .or am i wrong???

More than once, when the action on the old guitars from my past was nice and low, a switch to lower tension either by tuning down or putting on lighter strings would relax the neck relief just enough to have a string or two hit a fret somewhere. Could be the case for you here, so you'll either have to go back up to 12's or tweak the rod. If you do restring, let it sit overnight before you conclude so the neck gets a chance to return to it's original position.

More than once, when the action on the old guitars from my past was nice and low, a switch to lower tension either by tuning down or putting on lighter strings would relax the neck relief just enough to have a string or two hit a fret somewhere. Could be the case for you here, so you'll either have to go back up to 12's or tweak the rod. If you do restring, let it sit overnight before you conclude so the neck gets a chance to return to it's original position.

thanks i.ll put the 12s on and do as you sugest thank you

Archived