Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of this bridge pin advice???

onewilyfool

I think it's a reasonable solution if you are not used to making sure that your ball is hitting the bottom of the bridge plate.

I just pull the string tight as I'm pushing the pin in (maybe about half way when I do this) andyou can hear it make contact with the bottom of the bridge.. so now I know that before the pin is all the way in, I have the ball against the bridge plate.

I like to be absolutely sure the ball end is where I want it to be, and as messed up as some of these bridge plates are, you very well might want the ball resting in a specifically undamaged area.

A small telescoping automotive mirror can easily be slipped in & out of the soundhole with all six strings in place (I like to remove my strings one at a time). With the mirror I have, I push the first string over a bit to gain adequate clearance.

I've been doing this since the '70s, when I discovered with old flea market guitars how chewed up a bridge plate can get from poor seating of the ball ends. Sure, it takes longer, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

I've been beveling my bridge pins since forever. Only takes a minute or so. I just use a piece of sandpaper flat on the table and hold the pins at an angle. Once done I don't have to bother bending each and every string every time they need changed.

Not a bad idea. I usually just pull up on the strings when restringing to make sure they rest where they should.

The bend is a good idea, will have to try.

Video was informative. Guy got sweatier and sweatier lol

I'm buying a 2008 AJ from a friend on Wednesday. I guess I'll see if I can find an old U-Boat periscope at a flea market so I can inspect it first. I did check my 1992 J60 with a dental mirror. Looks pretty clean and smooth. I guess I was expecting a disaster.... I'll do the others when I get home. At least there's one Gibby that won't be put out with the trash.. [scared][crying]

why are you called E-minor7 thats got to be the strangest user name ive ever come across on a forum

Really, , , would you have preferred fx a straight A-minor. . .

Guess I found a chord rather appropriate on a guitar-forum. Of course it had to be a chord with a high degree of expression.

But strangest name ever, Richie, , , look around this river.

Weird name-stuff happens, I guarantee. . . .

Archived