Gibson Brands Forums

Stock string gauge Epiphone G400 Pro?

Presence

Hello again! [biggrin] . Does anyone know for sure what the new Epiphone G400 Pro has on it stock from the factory? And what brand they are by chance? They feel like 9's. I like them whatever they are and want to restring with the same gauge. I know the new Gibson 2014 SGJ comes with 9's now.

I'm actually used to the 10's but am not committed to any certain gauge. Depends on the guitar and these feel like 9's on this new Epi G400 Pro and feel right on this particular guitar.

Thanks again!

Thanks brad. Man, these really look and feel like 9's. Could they have changed this year like Gibson did recently? Do you know how old that document is and where did you find it? It doesn't say anything about the G400 Pro and I can't find any info on the Epi site. Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks brad. Man, these really look and feel like 9's. Could they have changed this year like Gibson did recently? Do you know how old that document is and where did you find it? It doesn't say anything about the G400 Pro and I can't find any info on the Epi site. Thanks again for the reply.

That document has been around forever. Don't know where it came from. Somebody gave it to me and I just saved it on my computer.

It's possible that those are not the strings from the factory. Something could have happened to the original ones put on in the factory by the time they got to the retailer, and a new set of 9s could have been put on.

But as far as I know they still come with 10s.

Thanks again, Brad. This one came new, unopened, factory sealed box, shipped online from GC. I'm skeptical that they're 10's but, like I said, hopeful that they are. It would make my string buying easier as it really plays so nice with what's on there.

Well, looks like brad1 and cousin Dennis G are right! [thumbup] I got official word from Gibson Customer Support this morning that the Epiphone G400 Pro ships with .010-.046 strings and the Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro pickups in it have Alnico 5 magnets. Below is official email:

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 7:27 AM

To: Customer Service

Subject: Talk 2 Us : Country USA,

Contact info: Jay

Brand: Epiphone

Hi, What string gauge is my new Epiphone G400 Pro setup and shipped from the factory with? 9's or 10's? Also, what magnet type are in the Alnico Classic Pro pickups? I'm getting conflicting reports whether they're Alnico 2 or Alnico 5 magnets. Thanks! Jay

Hello Jay,

Thanks for writing. We use .010-.046 on these guitars, and your pickups use Alnico V magnets.

Thank you for the inquiry.

Best regards,

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

www.gibson.com

The Gibson Forums are provided for Gibson Fans to share opinions and information about all of the brands in the Gibson family. Become a Gibson Forums member today, visit http://forums.gibson.com/

Sign up now to receive the latest news from Gibson http://www.gibson.com/emailsignup.aspx

Thanks Dennis & deeman. Unfortunately, I took it back to GC over the weekend. Main reason is I just couldn't handle the neck dive and rubber neck on this one.

sorry to hear that, i'm sure you'll find something that speaks to you!

SG's and G400's have terrible neck dive issues. Most common fix I've seen is a wide suede strap, but that doesn't totally solve the problem.

Yeah, Dennis I was trying out different ideas including wrapping/attaching non-stick shelf liner material on my strap which helped but decided it would just drive me crazy if I kept this guitar.

sorry to hear that, i'm sure you'll find something that speaks to you!

Les Pauls are nicely balanced [biggrin] [biggrin] They come with 10's on btw ;)

Thanks guys! Yes, I have a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro Honeyburst on it's way to me now! [biggrin] I hope it speaks to me... and I hope it has 10's on it!! :lol:

I have a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro Honeyburst on it's way to me now! [biggrin] I hope it speaks to me... and I hope it has 10's on it!! :lol:

I think you'll like the LP. I have an '07 Gibby LP Std and it's a great guitar and since then Epi has made leaps and bounds in puckups, et al. Upper fret access is a bit of an issue, but not so much for me. It's a bit heavy, but it's not an all night guitar either. In any event, pix or it didn't happen, and I'm pretty sure it'll come with 10's. [biggrin]

BTW, I've just tried EB Cobalt's and woohoo!!

Archived