Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green mod

Sgt.

I was watching a guy on Youtube do the Peter Green mod to a humbucker ie. 'flipping the magnet' and saw what this mod is really. I'd thought from people describing it that you'd flip the bar mag over (so that the polarity is reversed) but it's just turning right end to left end of same side, so it's more like jimi Hendrix stringing a right handed guitar to play lefty I guess. Peter Green played the famed 'greeny' lp in Fleetwood mac which were incidentally a blues band in the beginning, much different from the Rumours Fleetwood. The guitar was wrecked in a car crash and repaired, but the repairman accidentally put the pickup bar mag on the neck pickup in the other way round, producing an out of phase sound. It's just not enough to turn the neck pickup around so the screws are facing in, the mod is actually turning the bar magnet on the screw side of the neck humbucker around from right to left (not flipping it over). It's another fascinating alteration you can make to the les paul to give it character.

Guest Farnsbarns

I was watching a guy on Youtube do the Peter Green mod to a humbucker ie. 'flipping the magnet' and saw what this mod is really. I'd thought from people describing it that you'd flip the bar mag over (so that the polarity is reversed) but it's just turning right end to left end of same side, so it's more like jimi Hendrix stringing a right handed guitar to play lefty I guess. Peter Green played the famed 'greeny' lp in Fleetwood mac which were incidentally a blues band in the beginning, much different from the Rumours Fleetwood. The guitar was wrecked in a car crash and repaired, but the repairman accidentally put the pickup bar mag on the neck pickup in the other way round, producing an out of phase sound. It's just not enough to turn the neck pickup around so the screws are facing in, the mod is actually turning the bar magnet on the screw side of the neck humbucker around from right to left (not flipping it over). It's another fascinating alteration you can make to the les paul to give it character.

I believe you've misunderstood and important point. The magnet in a humbucker isn't north at one end lenghtways and south at the other. The north/south polarity is along its short dimention so the flip (rotation) you saw reverses it in the way you thought it didn't.

There was a very good in-depth discussion on the subject in a prior thread...

http://forum.gibson...._1#entry1479032

I suspect there's been alot of really good discussions on the subject and there will probably be alot more...

I've personally done Peter Green mods on P90 style pickups. In P90's there are actually 2 magnets in each pickup and you have to rotate both...

You turn them like you're turning he hands on a clock. They stay on the same plane but you turn them, kinda like spinning a pencil on a table top... U turn them 180 degrees and reassemble & adjust...

I think it's much easier on a P90 style pickup too, but the output is sharper and it can seem a little too hot of an effect and doesn't quite have the subtlety that it has on a humbucker...

Archived