Gibson Brands Forums

Saw my first fake in person

quapman

Only seen one that I know for sure was a fake. Looked nice at first - i.e. nice paintjob, but bit sloppy in the detail areas when viewed up close, and then the 'wrongs' were explained by an expert (no, it wasn't my guitar thankfully).

Apart from the old "if its looks/costs too good to be true..." adage - is there anywhere here, or on any Gibson site that shows (i.e. visual as well as written description) the common watch-outs? I'd have thought that would be a great service to provide. Though I think I've seen some on You-tube, but not sure how comprehensive as far as being a quick one-stop reference point. People could even review on their phones when looking at a guitar in a pawn shop or whatever.

There are some great websites that go into minute detail about every aspect of a vintage guitar (usually targeting collectors looking for originality) - but realistically I'm guessing there’s probably 5-10 things to spot on fakes that would cover 95% of all fakery...

..."So after we finished up and were chatting,, the guitar player was showing off his LP custom that he said he got for so cheap that he didn't even want to say

what he paid. The bass player got it for him and also bought himself one."

At that point I would have said-" did you ever stop to think why you got it so cheap?"

but that's just me-

Some folks don't care who made the guitar- that's its not a real Gibson, all they know is: "I have a Les Paul!"

Archived