Gibson Brands Forums

New Jack White track

Rabs

I saw that Lazaretto video just yesterday and find it visually stunning.

I like Jack White just ok, but do not gravitate to listen to him. I am glad the guy is keeping guitar playing in the mainstream.

He is having the best time ever, he sings out of tune, he plays out of synch, he has some brilliant songs and some absolute fillers, some of his ideas are great others complete rehash but he is having the best time ever, he does whatever he wants...

The stuff he did with the Raconteurs is what I like better, I think the other guitar player Brendan grounds Jack.

I loved the White Stripes. His solo stuff is good; I dig it more because I am *huge* fan of his playing, riffing, and guitar sounds. The Velcro fuzz mixed with the staccato and Whammy pedal craziness is right up my alley. There is a genuine uncontrolled animal that comes out when he plays live and how can you not respect that?

I saw that Lazaretto video just yesterday and find it visually stunning.

I like Jack White just ok, but do not gravitate to listen to him. I am glad the guy is keeping guitar playing in the mainstream.

He is having the best time ever, he sings out of tune, he plays out of synch, he has some brilliant songs and some absolute fillers, some of his ideas are great others complete rehash but he is having the best time ever, he does whatever he wants...

The stuff he did with the Raconteurs is what I like better, I think the other guitar player Brendan grounds Jack.

I like this depiction!

For whatever reason, the way you describe this reminds me some of Buddy Guy...

While Buddy's voice is sublime and he doesn't sing out of tune, he will absolutely play out of tune/key and purposely highlight that in part of a song...

If his Strat goes out of tune, if he's in a mood it seems he'll punish it by excoriating it with fiery runs of manic abuse for the insolence and he'll suddenly fixate on that out of tune moment and violently overbear it by hitting every lick he can that accentuates that off sound and oddity. It's like he's having a battle of wills with the guitar and he manhandles it with a zealous and relentless attack until the thing comes back into tune by sheer force of will...

It's an attitude thing, Buddy knows he's out of tune, he knows it's stark and obvious, and not only does he not care, he dares anyone else to care, and exemplifies it like a big Ted Nugent flying finger salute... And it doesn't matter because it's Buddy Guy and he's the best... Alot of people don't get him live and I think this is a part of that. Lots of folks that are a touch ignorant go to see Buddy Guy expecting pure old-school Chicago Blues and have no idea what they are in for, and they either get onboard and go with the powerful flow, or the don't and just don't get it... Guitar players know!

The song/performance is a living thing and just like the unknown with people & living things, it sometimes has a mind of it's own and has to be dealt-with accordingly. It's like Buddy will have an argument with a number in the middle of the song and he makes sure he settles it before moving-on...

I think possibly Jack has some of that attitude and possible treats his songs as if they're living things with all the faults and flaws that any living thing has and he loves them all for what they are and their unique nature... Much the way Buddy Guy does...

True he ain't got Buddy Guy's licks, but then again, nobody does!

And yes, I too am glad he keeps strong guitar riffs and the real nature of those sounds in the mainstream!

Archived