Gibson Brands Forums

Pulled the Trigger

lazarusvt84

Call me a fool...my son seems to think so...but I couldn't resist taking another chance on a ES-335 wannabe from Asia (Korea) produced thru MDD of Norfolk, VA. As a lefty, it's hard to find, much less test out guitars. Left-handed Gibson ES-355's are rare to begin with, not to mention cost. So, with a 30-day return policy (lose a little on return shipping), what the heck...let's take a chance. I might get lucky.

Called the company...the owner called me back and I told him that I was not interested in just a pretty face, a nice hearty figure, beautiful skin...but also wanted tonal qualities that rival a Gibson. Can he deliver. We shall see.

Should be here on Monday....cherry

ufazMzC.jpg

That looks great, looks well made.

I am loving my Epiphone ES-335 Pro that I bought recently, great guitar for the price. I do have to tell you that while these imports are great value for the money they do not get to the level of a Gibson ES-335, people in general seem to think that a plywood guitar is a plywood guitar but that's not the case, the difference is more noticeable to me on semi-hollows.

I happen to love the pickups on my Epiphone, I am swapping some of the plastics and knobs and will be posting pics soon.

Judging from that one snap I'd echo Riffster's comment about it looking to be well made.

The fact that it's very pretty into the bargain is hardly a mark against it.

As long as the basic instrument is well crafted and the fundamental tone is sound (pun) there shouldn't be much which can't be sorted out.

Looking forward to the NGD thread next week!

[thumbup]

P.

Looks good. Any pics of the headstock? I've got An Aria TA 50 and it's a great guitar. Well made and plays great. There are lots of nice guitars out there and whoever tries it is surprised by the quality.

Call me a fool...my son seems to think so...but I couldn't resist taking another chance on a ES-335 wannabe from Asia (Korea) produced thru MDD of Norfolk, VA. As a lefty, it's hard to find, much less test out guitars. Left-handed Gibson ES-355's are rare to begin with, not to mention cost. So, with a 30-day return policy (lose a little on return shipping), what the heck...let's take a chance. I might get lucky.

Called the company...the owner called me back and I told him that I was not interested in just a pretty face, a nice hearty figure, beautiful skin...but also wanted tonal qualities that rival a Gibson. Can he deliver. We shall see.

Should be here on Monday....cherry

......Here is a pic of the headstock.

They claim 'handmade' from one of their main sponsor who's had a signature model made for him. Also read last night that the folks building them are old Samick people looking to make a mark. Supposedly they use top quality materials...and the pups are PAF 57/59? copies that allegedly sound true to originals. That's the marketing of course.

gnwPmBU.jpg

Archived