Gibson Brands Forums

1973 J-40 vs. 1973 J-50 Deluxe

MCT

I was wondering if someone could please explain the differences between a 1973 Gibson J-40, and a 1973 Gibson J-50 Deluxe. I own a J-40 and it is a monster tone machine. This guitar is so loud with so much projection and sustain that at first I couldn't believe it had a mahogany back and sides. And I'm thinking of buying an available J-50 Deluxe, because again, despite the build year, it is a fantastic instrument. The J-50 has more wear on it, but the tops on both have aged beautifully. Straight necks, lots of fret left, no repairs, no crazing, all the original parts. I have older Martins, some other '60's Gibsons, several vintage Santa Cruz, Gallagher and Mossman guitars which all have their special sound and feel,and these 2 1973 Gibsons are amazing me. I also have a 1966 J-50 which has much more of what I would call the sound generally associated with mahogany. I've found info on both the J-40 and '73 J-50 models, but I figured this would be the best place to ask to get a definitive comparison. Thanks very much in advance for your time.

Sorry, I can't help with a comparison and have no idea what a "monster tone machine" is. But I do have a 1974 J-50 Deluxe that I purchased new. It is a very loud guitar - much louder than my 2011 Martin D-15M and also louder than my 2008 J-50. If I am recording with one of those other guitars and switch to the old J-50, I have to lower the levels on the mics. :)

Archived