Gibson Brands Forums

((N((G)*2))D)

rct

So I find myself in the fair city of Milwaukee Wisconsin, or as we like to call it, Wisconstruction.

Mrs is enjoying Bead And Button 2014, the largest consumer bead show on earth, 20 years here in Milwaukee, and I've been bringing her here for a few times that all got canceled for one reason or another, but not this time!

So they have some nice non-chain shops here, I've been looking at inventories and stuff for a couple months now.

In no order, Wades, RochHaus, TopShelf, CreamCity, maybe one other I'm not remembering. And went out to the GC up the road from CreamCity. There's an ES-139 there for the steal of 899 if anyone around here wants one.

CreamCity is a great store, more Gretschii than the entire state of New Jersey. The others equally good.

Wades is a CFMarteen dealer, and he had two that I wanted to see. Yes, in southern NJ the only Martins in town are at GC, which means the only Martins in town are few and in dreadful shape. Not his! Every guitar in that store clean, in tune, well intonated. Very nice, reminded me much of my youth and trading guitars in the old kind of shops.

He also happened to have a second hand Mexican Esquire which again, we don't have any around here.

So I left his fine establishment with a 2013 Sunburst Esquire that is only called used because he didn't have the original bag or tags, it was bought and traded within a week because the person didn't quite know what they were getting into. They do sell guitars to anyone you know.

After much side by side playing and feeling and listening and thought between a few a darling, sweet, delightfully delicate CFMartin 000-16GT. Love love love it.

Pictures sometime this summer when we get home.

I will ever after call this town MILFwaukee. Racine was nice, spent a day there, nice art museum.

rct

How do you intonate an acoustic? Outside of the neck's relief, there are no moving parts. [confused]

It's all in how you cut the slots in the saddle for the strings. There isn't a ton of adjustment, but most acoustics are compensated pretty well.

-Ryan

Yup, My tech actually filed down the saddle to lower the action on my Gibson Songwriter Deluxe.

Yup.. I first got that done when I was 18 and bought my first semi acoustic which I still have... The guy who did it was so good it almost plays like an electric (almost :))

And its just a Tanglewood, you know the Ovation roundback copy... but its never ever let me down and ive never felt the need to get another one.

Great find! I'll have to make a drive up the lake and check out some of those shops. The only times I've gone to milwaukee was for Summerfest, a Brewers game or playing gigs. So i've been there dozens of times but never really spent much time there.

1. Yes, an Esquire just like Kid put up there. Why so hard to find?

2. Yes, going all Jeff Beck like. My first electric was an Esquire, one that I drooled at from the time I was 12 as it hung in the store front on the main drag of Woodbury NJ. Got it for Christmas, it was expensive in them days! I didn't have it but almost two years, got a "real" guitar, a Strat. The Esquire vanished into the realms of lending and neighbor using and stuff. Been a long time, and I'm glad to have one again.

3. If a shop has a bunch of nice Ack!oustics hanging up in the saloon and they find a need to change strings they usually throw on there whatever they have the most of. Like lekkiks, if you change the gauge that the saddles were set for it can be subtle intonation problems or way whack like. So to me, I'm impressed if a shop has a couple dozen well tuned well intonated acoustics, they managed to keep the right gauge on them when needed.

4. I have a beaded strap or two, and I have taken them out of the house on occasion, but she is pretty aware of the problems that presents. The work is pretty intense, especially beading in one of my Clayton glove leather 3.5 inch, and to break them would suk. So I keep them safe and use them all day on a Sunday when fooling around, but I prefer to use my straight up ones.

5. Yes, some pictures at some point this summer, of all 11 of them. And of the two beaded bags that hung on my mic stand for many years, one for picks, one for slide. I dearly love them.

6. MILFwaukee has a restaurant called Sanford. Chef dude won James Beard this year, and I managed a Friday night table while we were here, had to get it reserved early May. MAN that guy can cook. If yer from around here, save up two hunnert bucks and put on a jacket and tie and take Mrs to dinner. If you are coming here, try to eat there. We have been lucky people to eat in some of the places we have, and I would drive around Chicago anytime out this way to eat at Sanford.

7. And another shout out for Wades Guitar Shop.

rct

You change or adjust the bridge saddle :)

(or the whole bridge)

It's all in how you cut the slots in the saddle for the strings. There isn't a ton of adjustment, but most acoustics are compensated pretty well.

-Ryan

Understood.

Archived