Gibson Brands Forums

Searching out a Marshall amp

Edlo

Ok guys, I have started to look for a new amp. Currently looking at the Marshall DSL40c tube 40 watt amp, that can cut power in half. Is there anyone using this amp out there? Thanks for your input.

My sister's fiancé (who graduated from Metalworks Institute with a degree as a sound engineer) bought one late last year. He loves it. Sounds great at low volumes and great when cranked. Has all the gain you could need and still has that nice chimey Marshall clean.

If you don't care about them being manufactured in Vietnam (the same place the MG range are made), you'll be very happy with it.

-Ryan

My sister's fiancé (who graduated from Metalworks Institute with a degree as a sound engineer) bought one late last year. He loves it. Sounds great at low volumes and great when cranked. Has all the gain you could need and still has that nice chimey Marshall clean.

If you don't care about them being manufactured in Vietnam (the same place the MG range are made), you'll be very happy with it.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I'm going to see and try it out next week at my local store.

Not a big fan of the later JCM's. Too buzzy sounding for me. I've got an '84 JCM800 head and it's the only amp I'll ever need.

-Ryan

Heres the 84 but I'd still prefer the extra gain in the 88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Marshall-JCM-800-4212-2x12-Amp-Combo-Celestion-G12T-75-LOCAL-PICKUP-ONLY/301164991010?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22425%26meid%3D7464705229550296236%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9723%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D181431654309%26

Mine isn't one of the channel switchers with reverb and boost and all that extra stuff you don't need...single channel, Treble, Middle, Bass, Presence, Master, Preamp. All you need.

-Ryan

It depends what sound you're after, but if you want that classic Marshall sound, then I very much agree with Ryan. I had a couple of the more modern Marshall amps (including the TSL60), but I was still not happy. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the first reissues of the JTM45 head, with KT66s, and it absolutely rocks. THE classic Marshall sound. Sensible use of different pickups, a boost pedal, and playing sensitivity, and you have an amp capable of a few different classic sounds. [thumbup]

I just bought one about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I got a great deal on it also. It sounds good clean, I like the classic distortion, haven't played much with the ultra distortion.

I also checked on the mf site and it's $699.00 they also offer some great deals. What did you pay for it and where?

Archived