Gibson Brands Forums

Shubb Capos

BluesKing777

After buying my Elliot Elite Capo, it occurred to me that a couple of my special friends would love to get their hands on it!

You know the friends - the ones that always seem to end up with your cig lighter after an outing, or even claim not to smoke while polishing off your whole packet! (and HOW did he get my Keef book?).

So after reading good reports in the Elliot Capo thread about the Shubb Deluxe, while at the music shop the other day, guess what?...there it was right in front of my eyes! So I bought the Shubb Deluxe and also a Shubb "Capo Noir" to give a try:

http://www.shubb.com/deluxe/index.html

http://www.shubb.com/noir/index.html

The only Shubb I have tried previously is my Shubb Dobro Capo which has an extra bit that goes under the strings on a Dobro that is set up really high for just lap slide....

So I have been playing on and off with both versions and they seem to be real good. I make sure they are lined up right on the fret and the guitar is nicely in tune still. I am not sure about bending strings heavily - I think the string stayed a touch higher under the capo after bending it.... I need a bit more time on that.

While they don't look as beautiful as the Elliot Elite Capo, they appear to work nicely...so far.....enough for me to say that the Shubb Deluxe will be the one in the guitar case when I visit guitar friends or jam nights! Elliot for home use/recording, then locked in safe....

(The standard size is a touch small for my vintage V neck L50 and I haven't even bothered to try it on the monster National necks, but on the Shubb website they have capo models for larger necks....the shop I went to doesn't carry anything except standard equipment.)

BluesKing777.

Hmmm mmmmmm.....

After playing a lot more with the 2 types of Shubb, I don't think I want them to 'disappear' either!

Anything that works as promised this day and age is a keeper.

I will take the pencil/rubber band capo to friend's.

BluesKing777.

(The Shubb doesn't fit on my National necks).

i can't believe a 'box of gadgets' man like yourself never had a shubb before.

what were u using BK?

btw. .. try the shubb 'upside down' for better tuning

Thanks BBG.

The Kysers work good upside down too.

Shubb - nobody ever stocked them around here - lots of PW or Kyser stuff locally, and the deliveries cost as much as the gadgets, so...

I have not been a big capo user - I like as much fret real estate as I can get.

I have had a lot of Kyser clamps since they first came out - they worked well on my fat neck Dobro. Before that we're the elastic numbers...

Recently I have used a Paige, a G7 PC and a .....very best one for the J45.....a G7 Newport.

The Elliot rules!

BluesKing777.

Thanks BBG.

The Kysers work good upside down too.

Shubb - nobody ever stocked them around here - lots of PW or Kyser stuff locally, and the deliveries cost as much as the gadgets, so...

I have not been a big capo user - I like as much fret real estate as I can get.

I have had a lot of Kyser clamps since they first came out - they worked well on my fat neck Dobro. Before that we're the elastic numbers...

Recently I have used a Paige, a G7 PC and a .....very best one for the J45.....a G7 Newport.

The Elliot rules!

BluesKing777.

yeah I have a Newport myself. Like you say, seems to fit the guitar very well.

I actually don't mind kysers. But they keep breaking. spring snaps

yeah I have a Newport myself. Like you say, seems to fit the guitar very well.

I actually don't mind kysers. But they keep breaking. spring snaps

I have had one snap - a bit of a shock when it goes, isn't it?

I had a Shubb Dobro Capo, which really needed 5 or 6 hands to put on properly - that may have put me off the brand.

BluesKing777.

And another vid with a lap Dobro player testing Dobro Capos....

The first one he plays is the Schubb Dobro Capo I had - he has it set before he plays, but it took a lot to get mine set - I had a 'nut extender' instead of high nut...sit down at the back of the class OWF!

This guy is impressive and I wasn't! I have thrown the nut extender to the back yard....returned the Dobro to standard playing setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnPI8ysc4Y

BluesKing777.

Well, the Shubb doesn't fit across the neck of my 12 string Gibson B25-12N - neck is 2".

BUT....

It fits (and stays) nicely across strings 1 - 5 on the 2nd fret!

(Like a drop D tuning only capo up to E!). Perfect, because once I get that twelver puppy in tune, I am reluctant to alter it in any way, so now we have an easy Drop E.

Next - some Neil, some Willie McT and then some Lonnie - all drop D-ers. (And a 12 string version of Beatles Dear Pru..etc)

BluesKing777.

Been using Shubbs for many years until changing to Planet Waves NS Pros a couple years ago....and prefer the PW. Love the ability to adjust the tension on the fly if necessary, they're super light, and seem to produce a more even distribution of pressure and better intonation.

DC

After nearly thirty-three years of playing, I bought my first capo last September, and decided to go with a Shubb C-1. With simple adjustment it works nicely on fretboard radiuses from 9.5" to 16" and eleven different neck shapes. I always manage to use it without buzz and need of retuning.

Moreover, when putting it on Floyd Rose guitars, also with fretboards varying from 9.5" to 16" in radius, it is still in place after severe vibrato use, and the guitars stay in tune without problems. This is really awesome - I wouldn't have thought so before. [thumbup]

+1

Been using Shubbs for many years until changing to Planet Waves NS Pros a couple years ago....and prefer the PW. Love the ability to adjust the tension on the fly if necessary, they're super light, and seem to produce a more even distribution of pressure and better intonation.

DC

Oh no!

Do I have to buy Planet Waves NS Pro capo as well?

The guy at the music shop said they weren't as good as the Shubb, but he didn't have a PW to try. [sneaky]

My Elliot came in a little 'mojo' bag, but the rest of the growing collection are dangling loose all over the place, so I am going to need to get organised with a 'capo tin' or something. :D

BluesKing777.

Oh no!

Do I have to buy Planet Waves NS Pro capo as well?

The guy at the music shop said they weren't as good as the Shubb, but he didn't have a PW to try. [sneaky]

My Elliot came in a little 'mojo' bag, but the rest of the growing collection are dangling loose all over the place, so I am going to need to get organised with a 'capo tin' or something. :D

BluesKing777.

just clip em all on the dog's tail!

just clip em all on the dog's tail!

Ha Ha Ha :blink:

That might make him go too quick next walkies.... ( He disgraced himself earlier with the next door (girl) hound, even though his bits are long gone! )...

Hey, anyone here make any sense of the Spider Capo?

http://www.spidercapo.com

I bought one when they were new and getting hyped, but have not had much luck with it and it is sitting at the bottom of the capo tin!

I did the DADGAD instructions earlier and it really makes a 'Pseudo DADGAD' - it sounds like DADGAD, but if you play the 6th string, you need to play it different than how I learned the tunes in real DADGAD...

Maybe I need to get over DADGAD with it and experiment with other ideas with it.

BluesKing777.

Archived