Gibson Brands Forums

Shubb Capos

BluesKing777

Oh no!

Do I have to buy Planet Waves NS Pro capo as well?

The guy at the music shop said they weren't as good as the Shubb, but he didn't have a PW to try. [sneaky]

BluesKing777.

They're inexpensive enough that it wouldn't hurt to try. At first I wasn't quite sure of the NS Pro but the more I used it, the more I realized how well it works for me. I still use a 12 string Shubb on my wide neck 000 slot head with 1-7/8" nut, as well as a couple I've modified to use as partial capos on my other guitars.

DC

Ha Ha Ha :blink:

That might make him go too quick next walkies.... ( He disgraced himself earlier with the next door (girl) hound, even though his bits are long gone! )...

Hey, anyone here make any sense of the Spider Capo?

http://www.spidercapo.com

I bought one when they were new and getting hyped, but have not had much luck with it and it is sitting at the bottom of the capo tin!

I did the DADGAD instructions earlier and it really makes a 'Pseudo DADGAD' - it sounds like DADGAD, but if you play the 6th string, you need to play it different than how I learned the tunes in real DADGAD...

Maybe I need to get over DADGAD with it and experiment with other ideas with it.

BluesKing777.

I've disgraced myself with the girl next door many times.

The spider capo might be fun, but it works same as putting a capo across 5 strings and calling it drop D.

is not really drop D

Another part of the Shubb story....

I went to this local electrical retailer that I saw advertising the Hercules Guitar Stand - as mentioned elsewhere, they usually sell Computers. TV, Videos, Games etc, but recently they have added a junky musical instrument section.... I went in that annexe to the packed main store to find a lone salesperson twiddling with a computer, who got the surprise of the day to see a customer!

I found the Hercules Stand, grabbed one, and looked over to the wall of parts and spied....Yepo....some Shubb Capos! I took that as a nod from the Guitar Gods and bought a Shubb 'Standard' Capo, which is the budget one in nickel shirt, and this one will be the one in the guitar case when I visit the friend who plies me with alcohol and relieves me of capos, leads, picks and yes, batteries!

Accessories hunting is way cheaper that Guitar hunting!

BluesKing777.

I have been having fun experimenting with some of my older guitars and my Elliot and Shubb capos now that I seem to have them sorted. I have also learned a fair bit by reading the various topics on forums....

With my older capos, I didn't like the sound and playability of the capo up past the 4th or 5th - tuning and access, but now I am unlocking a few more sounds I haven't heard - some of my guitars have never had capos on them for more that a few minutes before I gave up...now, well, they are all getting the treatment.

I swapped the Shubb for the old G7 to check and it is really in the way a lot more than the Shubb. I was happily picking "Here Comes The Sun" at the 7th fret and just before I had some 3rd to 5th fret going in open G.

Great!

BluesKing777.

• 2 weeks later...

Older thread update.....

After reading the thread on the new G7 P2 capo, I went back to my G7 and ran a few comparison tunes with my Shubb Deluxe and the original G7-P.

The G7 is big and heavy, isn't it? I liked my G7 Newport better, with the tension adjustment, but I like the Shubb better than both.

Why I am back on this thread is because I am discovering that I like my J45 capoed at the 3rd fret, so much that I think I am preferring the sound of the Shubb rubber more than the J45 Graphtech nut!

Maybe I need a rubber nut? And don't be rude!

I have been having lots of fun using the Shubb for a Drop D thingy or 2, except in E - only trouble with my beautiful Elliot capo is that I can't do the cheat 2nd fret Drop D thing.

BluesKing777.

Archived