Gibson Brands Forums

Last jam with one of my best friends

saturn

I don't even know if it's appropriate to post this now, since the incident happened less than 8 hours ago. I just couldn't sleep last night and am the only one up in my house right now so...

Anyway, if anyone has paid attention to my posts since I've been a member, they probably have read me mention "my buddy" "my Friend" "my band mate" etc. many times. Most (but not all) of the band photos and video I have ever posted shows my friend Ed on drums and many times I am playing one of his guitars. Any photo of me playing a Classic Vibe Tele or Strat, or a Gibson CS VOS Goldtop R7, it's his guitar.

Last night a group of us were at his house jamming. No band rehearsal or practice, but just friends getting together to make some noise. It was going great. We were all having a blast and playing some good music too. Suddenly Ed fell off his drum stool and hit the ground right next to me. It took a few seconds for us to realize that something serious was happening. We called 911 and one of the guys who knows CPR worked on him until paramedics arrived, but in the end he didn't make it.

Life is so fleeting! At least he spent the last minutes of his life doing something he loved with good friends.

Here is a photo I took the day I went with him to help him decide what guitar to buy. He ended up with a Gibson.

Goldtop007.jpg

Not the greatest shot, but it does show him on his drums, me on his Tele and his Strat in the background.

SunsetCove3_zps4814542d.jpg

Goodbye good friend.

I'm very sorry you had to experience such a sad event...

Yes life is fleeting and while such events are life... Knowing that really doesn't help any...

My condolences and prayers for you, him, and his!

God Bless and we're here...

It's a tough row to hoe, but I would suggest doing something proactive and positive to pass his legacy forward and to keep his spirit alive and relevant will be your best choice of action...

Sorry man...

Wouldn't have slept after such a bad incident, too. So sorry for you having lost a friend forever this way. :(

As you said, life is fleeting. No one knows what will happen the next moment. It might be a solace that he didn't have to suffer for a long time.

R.I.P., Ed. :(

Every minute, every day, week , month, year..etc is a gift. Let the people you love know you love them and how important they are to you. Sometimes actions speak louder than words in that respect... It's very sad and a shock to go through what you did but as you said, he left this world amongst his friends and doing what he loved... Very lucky guy but way too young to die. My deepest condolences... RIP ED

Thanks everyone. I hope I didn't bring the mood of the Lounge down. It's just that him or his gear has been featured in so many of my posts here I feel like he was a member by proxy.

If he was feeling bad at all before, he didn't show it. One minute we all are talking and laughing and seconds later he is on the ground.

Thanks again.

Oh man... that's such a sad thing to happen my condolences to you and your friends and his family.

As has been said.. life is short and we never now whats on the cards for any of us.. and also as said at least he was doing something he loved and didn't suffer which is all I think anyone can ask.

I have also found that doing something in the memory of a loved one is a great thing to do.

One time I had a girl I was talking too and we were about to meet for the first time.. I then got a sudden phone call from her brother who said she had passed away during the night.. I couldn't go to the funeral as I didn't even know any of the family and hadn't even met her in person.. So my mum suggested getting a tree planted in her name which I did in a local park and they put a plaque up with her name on it that will stay on that tree as long as the tree is there. So I can go visit any time I wanted and remember her. It helped me a lot.

Things like this, I'm convinced, are part of life, and learning of it.

In my own late teens and early 20s it seemed to happen only too frequently.

I recall calling a girlfriend at work - I was 19 at the time and it was almost 50 years ago - to confirm time for a date, and being told she'd been killed in a car crash late the night before. We were both from elsewhere and had no common friends in that city far from our families.

We've had some other threads here with similar circumstances and frankly, I think it's best to let others know, both for them and for "us" who have lost someone.

In the olden days it seems we lived rather more closely in wider generational circumstances and thought we knew of illness and death, but in retrospect... things really haven't changed; it's a shock regardless to lose someone close.

Saturn's loss is what each of us lives with; knowing others care for those suffering the loss is our strength.

m

Very sorry for the loss of your friend

It is not something that's best held inside.

Some times it helps to talk about them and the great times you had together

He may be gone, but your memories of him, and the time spent with him will last for ever

Life is so fleeting! At least he spent the last minutes of his life doing something he loved with good friends.

This is too true. It's so hard to lose friends, and it seems to happen all too often as we get older. Very sorry to hear about your loss of such a great friend.

I am very sad to read this today and my thoughts and prayers go out to you & his family and friends in what can only be an awful numbness of spirit right now. I wished I didn't know how this feels but I do, and so I want you to know my heart really goes out to you.

Keep his memory alive through the music. It won't help anytime soon, but in time it will help you to heal. We're all only here for such a short time. Peace out.

I don't even know if it's appropriate to post this now, since the incident happened less than 8 hours ago. I just couldn't sleep last night and am the only one up in my house right now so...

Anyway, if anyone has paid attention to my posts since I've been a member, they probably have read me mention "my buddy" "my Friend" "my band mate" etc. many times. Most (but not all) of the band photos and video I have ever posted shows my friend Ed on drums and many times I am playing one of his guitars. Any photo of me playing a Classic Vibe Tele or Strat, or a Gibson CS VOS Goldtop R7, it's his guitar.

Last night a group of us were at his house jamming. No band rehearsal or practice, but just friends getting together to make some noise. It was going great. We were all having a blast and playing some good music too. Suddenly Ed fell off his drum stool and hit the ground right next to me. It took a few seconds for us to realize that something serious was happening. We called 911 and one of the guys who knows CPR worked on him until paramedics arrived, but in the end he didn't make it.

Here is a photo I took the day I went with him to help him decide what guitar to buy. He ended up with a Gibson.

Goldtop007.jpg

Not the greatest shot, but it does show him on his drums, me on his Tele and his Strat in the background.

SunsetCove3_zps4814542d.jpg

Goodbye good friend.

May he rest in peace and may his sprit keep on rocking !

I myself had an exprience today too:

Checking ot the website of a canadian landscape painter I learned that a good friend

by the name of Robert Genn, a well accomplished painter as well, died a few days ago.

He always sent me the books he wrote and gave me a handsigned artist proof of one of his

paintings which hangs in my living room.

I was just about to give him a phone call when I learned the bad news.

It is so terrible to lose good friends.It is when you'll see a grown man cry.

Thanks everyone. I hope I didn't bring the mood of the Lounge down. It's just that him or his gear has been featured in so many of my posts here I feel like he was a member by proxy.

If he was feeling bad at all before, he didn't show it. One minute we all are talking and laughing and seconds later he is on the ground.

Thanks again.

As for my mood, it makes me think not only of what would happen to my children, but also to my bandmates and instruments when I will have passed away. I know, it is some kind of foolish trying to guess the future of my gear after me, but it makes me wonder much more than the music I created using it. Those who hopefully take care and play it all may make their own music, this is all OK for me, but holding the things I loved most in high regard makes me worry...

Eight years ago, a former bandmate born the same year as me died from cancer after nine months of illness. His children allowed his parents to keep his alto and tenor saxophones as keepsakes. I think this was a worthy decision, and from my personal view, it is very unlikely anybody would ever play them as great as he did. [crying]

my condolences to you, but in a way, you gotta hand it to the guy. there ain't too many cooler ways to go out. and you got to be a part of his final moment which was a good one. i hope folks don't take what i'm saying the wrong way, but really, in my mind, what a privilege! when anyone's time comes, we would be lucky to go this way

Archived