Gibson Brands Forums

Is this fake?

FennRx

hey guys' date=' i just bought my first Les Paul on ebay today. i paid $3700 for it via bank wire to a guy in Chad, so i am hoping that you guys tell me its the real deal.

can you also tell me what pickups are in it? i cant tell by the picture. do you think i can get a Zakk Wylde sound using it? i have a 15 watt marshall MG amp and a plastic tub screamer petal. or maybe Slash? i like him, i want to get his Epofone sig ,totally sweet.

thanxxxxx!!!!!

[/quote']

Ha! Funny! Maybe Gibsonfreaky can help you get a Slash tone from it.

That looks like a Ovation acoustic too me' date=' not a Les Paul.... [/quote']

It's a joke.](*,)

First of all yes its really a Les Paul,these were produced from early 1983 to 1995,and were replicas of the guitar used by the lead drummer for the well known band "Sewer bass"as far as the pickups they could be EMG's but if they are they were replaced by the prior owner of the guitar as it originally came with the Gibson lace censor single coil pickups straight from the Gibson custom shop.

And yes it is possible to get a slash style sound from it you will need to place a pickup just behind the bottom strap button its a simple enough task you will need a 3/4 wood chisel a ballpeen hammer some tin snips (preferably straight cut tin snips) and three zip ties,go to the Damarzio web site they have the wiring diagram for this procedure listed there.

You could also mount that pickup right up on the upper register of the the neck by removing (and this is just a shot in the dark guess)about five frets and once again using a chisel,or for a straighter job use a dremmel tool and cut out enough wood from the fret board to fit the pickup in don't worry so much about any in-perfections in the cuts you have to make as the bezel will cover that up.

And depending on rather or not you want this Les Paul to sound like the early slash(Guns-N-Roses) this would call for you to have to remove more frets so as to mount the pickup running in line with the head stock and the tune-o-matic bridge that is is clearly shown in the picture you posted.

Gibson offers to do these modifications at a nominal fee but you would have to send it to their custom shop where this guitar was made.

All in all I would say you got a heck of a deal I know Chad pretty well he only sells the finest instruments I hope I've been able to help you out here I assure yes this is the real deal one other thing if you choose to mount the pickup on the fretboard its self you will need to use duct tape instead of the zip ties:-({|=

Archived